Timeline for the Transition
Tips for a Successful Transition
3/20/18 Announcement to Staff via Email
3/23/18-5/30/18 Back-end transfer of emails from Outlook to Gmail.
This will NOT affect teachers at this time, however, if you happen to check Gmail, you will start to see old messages filtering in. Teachers should continue using Outlook as NEW messages will not come through Gmail yet.
By 5/17/18 All other staff and faculty emails will fully be transitioned to Gmail.
However, it may take up to a week for everything to fully sync.
- Start using Google Calendars now. Though not all of your current calendar items will have transferred yet, you can begin adding new items yourself and start getting more familiar with how it works.
- Most will not need to worry about this, but IF you use your Deleted Items folder in Outlook as a way to organize email, keep in mind "Deleted Items" and "Junk Mail" are the only two folders that will NOT transfer to Gmail. So, if there are items in your Deleted Items folder you would like to keep, please move them to a different folder.
- Check out the information on this site, attend a webinar or summer institute class and start using your email from July 1st on to get comfortable with Gmail before things gt hectic in August with beginning of the year preparations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will all of my folders, current emails and contacts transfer over?
- Will the events I have on my calendar in Outlook transfer?
- Can I get Outlook back if I do not like Gmail?
Yes. After the transition is completed, we will provide directions for setting up your Outlook to sync with Gmail. However, we do hope many of you will decide to embrace this transition. Support, training and collaboration are easier to implement when we are all on the same platform.
- Will I not receive email between June 1st and July 1st?
You will get your email at Gmail rather than through Outlook during the transition period. More details will be included in future communications.
- Will I keep my same email address or will it be @gmail.com?
Yes, you will keep your same email address. firstname.lastname@example.org
- If an email is sent to @kearney.k12.mo.us, will it still go to the new gmail?
Yes, the older versions of our email as well as the @ksdr1.net versions will all still come through to the new system.
Differences at a Glance
Switching from Outlook Mail to Gmail
Switching from Outlook Calendar to Google
Setting Up Gmail on a Mobile Device
Setting up district email on your phone will be much easier than before. You do not need to remember any additional server settings or special steps.
Set up on an iPhone
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down to Mail > Accounts > Add Account, and then select Google.
- You’re now at the Gmail sign in page.
- Enter your Gmail address, and tap Next.
- Enter your password, and tap Next.
- It will ask you which things you want to sync. Turn off the things you don’t want to sync, and tap Save in the upper-right corner when finished.
Setting up on an Android
- Tap Apps.
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Accounts.
- Select Add account.
- Choose Google from the resulting menu.
- This will bring you to the Add your account screen. Here, enter your Gmail address and tap Next.
- Then, enter your Gmail password and tap Next.
- Select Agree on the Terms of Service page.
- Once finished, you will be back at Accounts in Settings. If you want to see the accounts that you have added, or want to delete any, just tap Google.