EMpowered by KCI
The EMpowered by KCI program (also known as FAME 4/5) is a professional Elementary Mathematics learning program for fourth and fifth grade teachers, who teach in California. Teachers explore the eight mathematical practices while also learning how to use computer and web-based technologies to support teaching and learning. After the summer institute, the learning and professional development continues in the academic year program with four FAME follow-up sessions designed to help you implement instructional changes, discuss real experiences, develop best practices, build a professional learning community, and address additional math content and technology topics.
We begin in the spring with a one-day orientation (May 12, 2018) to set-up the course expectations and build upon the educational technology platforms used during the program. The summer intensive begins with six face-to-face meetings (July 25, 26, 27, 30, 31, and August 1). There is also a required 24 hours of additional online coursework over the summer. Two additional units (your choice of FASTtech courses) and the four follow-up days (usually a Saturday in October, November, February, and March) wrap up the program. You will also be expected to share your learning with others as well as continue your professional development during the school year.
Applications will be accepted online only at bit.ly/FAME45 (case sensitive URL)
Due by 11:59pm on April 30, 2018.
This program is open to mathematics educators who teach in 4th and 5th grades in California.
- Attend the Orientation on May 12, 2018 at the KCI (8:30am to 3:30pm)
- Blended Summer Institute: Attend all five face-to-face instruction days (July 25, 26, 27, 30, 31, and August 1)
- Redesign math lessons or a unit of study during the summer institute that you will then subsequently teach in the Fall quarter.
- Participate in four academic year follow-up sessions, typically in October, November, February, and March.
- Sign-up and attend additional two-units of FASTtech courses (LINC at Foothill College) during Summer 2018, Fall 2018, and/or Winter 2019 quarters.
- Complete 25 sharing and 25 learning points (total 50 points) before the end of the Winter 2019 quarter.
- Support from school principal who is required to complete an online support form available at: bit.ly/FAME45principal
- Create a portfolio of your experiences and how your professional practice has changed.
FAME 4-5 TEACHER INCENTIVES:
- 10.5 total college quarter units from Foothill College (6 units from the Summer Institute are paid by the KCI for California residents only; the other 4.5 units are paid by the participant.)
- $600 stipend upon completion of EMpowered requirements and program (for California educators only)
Note: All incentives are designed to support the ongoing innovation of technology into the curriculum.
[*Incentives subject to change]