5th Grade with
1. MATH = Lesson 23 is due Friday, Dec. 13. We will have our Module 2 TEST on Thursday, December 19!! Look for review and study guides packets next week.
2. ELA -
* 5th graders are working on memorizing some of the parts of speech for Shurley, and my homeroom is working on 49 of the prepositions. I am allowing them 3 tries to take the test, and I will keep the highest score. The first test is Fri., Dec. 13. The second test is Mon., Dec. 16. The 3rd and final test will be Wed., Dec. 18. They have been working hard to try to memorize them!
* We are working on nonfiction text structures. Students will need to complete the Google Forms "quiz" online by Monday, Dec. 16.
*Spelling Unit 14 test is on Friday, Dec. 13.
*Students should be reading an A.R. book every day at school AND at home every single day.
3. SCIENCE - Mystery Science Unit 2 - "Watery Planet." Check my science tab link at the top of this page for more detailed info. We are currently working on Mystery 2 (groundwater, aquifers, etc.). Our Science Google Classroom pages is full of links and resources for Mystery 2.
Students will be learning about various winter holidays from around the world.
Thank you for your help and support at home! As a reminder, your child should be coming home with little no no true "(only at) home work" most days. If time is used well throughout the day and during daily study hall, your child might only have some A.R. reading to do at home. If your child is working more than an hour on assignments at night, please let me know.
Power School Parent Portal - Keep track of your child's grades and assignments by logging in to Power School. Your User Name and password information will be sent home at the beginning of the school year. Only the main office can give you login and password information should you forget or lose it.
I will do my best to have grades and assignments updated each week. It is the student's responsibility to keep track of homework and activities in their assignment notebooks on a daily basis. PARENTS: Look at your child's assignment notebook every day to see what we did in class and keep track of upcoming activities, quizzes, tests, etc.
**Parents and students, you can always come in to Mrs. Irving's room to get something you forgot or finish up homework when you arrive at school - 7:40 A.M. or later. (There are *certain* weekdays after school that I may be available as well, so please e-mail or send a text message through Remind if there is a day after school that you might need some additional help.) Due to meetings, I must schedule after school work time ahead of time; in the morning, you can just come on in and let the office know you're there for Mrs. Irving.
District Office & Kinnikinnick School
5410 Pine Lane
Roscoe, IL 61073
Phone: 815-623-2837 Fax: 815-623-1797
Kinnikinnick School District Vision
"To educate our students to be responsible citizens with the knowledge, character, confidence and skills necessary to achieve personal success and make a positive difference in the world."
School Calendar 2019-2020
21 - Conferences - sign-ups will be shared with you soon! (5-8:30 P.M.)
22 - No school
27-29 - No school - Celebrate Thanksgiving with your family and friends!
23-31 - Winter Break - No School
1-5 - Winter Break, continued
6 - Back to school!
17 - A.R. for 2nd quarter due! Teacher institute day - No school - Possible snow make-up day
20 - No school - MLK Jr. Day
24 - Report cards sent home
14 - Class Valentine's Day party!
20 - Spring pictures
20 - Conferences (5:00-8:30 P.M.)
21 - No school - possible snow make-up day
27 - Conferences (5-8:30 P.M.)
28 - No school (4-day weekend!)
2 - No School - Casimir Pulaski Day
16 - Mrs. Irving's Birthday!
23-27 - No school - Enjoy your Spring Break!
3 - Illinois Assessment of Readiness begins this month!
10 - No School
13 - No School (school improvement day)
6 - Kinnikinnick Fine Arts Festival - 6-8P.M.
8 - Grandparent Visitation Day
21 - Chromebook collection
25 - No School - Memorial Day
29 - Last Day (if we don't use up all of our snow days again) and 8th grade graduation/report cards
5th Grade Supply List
- 2 packs of 3X3 Post-It notes
- 2 containers of disinfecting wipes, bleach-free
- 1 8-ounce pump container of hand sanitizer
- 3 large boxes of Kleenex tissue
- BOYS - 1 box of gallon-size resealable freezer storage bags
- GIRLS - 1 box of quart-size resealable freezer storage bags
- 24 sharpened #2 pencils
- 12 red pens
- 12 disposable mechanical pencils
- Box of 12 Crayola colored pencils
- Box of 24 Crayola crayons
- 2 pink Pearl erasers
- 1 small plastic pencil sharpener with receptacle
- 1 box of 8-10 Crayola Washable Markers, broad tip, classic colors
- 3 highlighters
- 4-pack Expo low odor dry erase markers, chisel tip, assorted colors
- 4-pack Expo low odor dry erase markers, FINE POINT tip, assorted colors
- 1 work box to fit inside the desk and/or locker
- 1 pair of scissors, pointed, 7 inches long
- 2 folders, with 2 pockets and 3 prongs
- 6 Elmer’s small glue sticks, washable, purple that dries clear
- 1 bottle of Elmer’s white washable school glue - 4 ounces
- Washable watercolor paints, 16 colors
- 1 large package of wide-ruled filler paper
- 1 expandable file, 7 tabs/pockets
- 5 spiral one-subject notebooks, wide ruled
- 1 calculator, 4 function
- 3 packs of index cards, size 3x5 in., ruled, white
- 1 set of earbuds/headphones to be left at school
- 1 paint shirt to be left at school
- 1 pair of P.E. shoes to be left at school