Club Information

In 1951, Jackson P. Burley High School opened as a segregated school for African Americans in Charlottesville, Virginia. It's final class of Seniors graduated in 1967, and the school was shut down after being purchased by Albemarle County. In 1974, it reopened as a middle school of Albemarle County.

On January 27, 2007, four former Burley High School athletes formed what is now called The Burley Varsity Club. These four athletes were Donald Byers, Beverly McCullough, Jimmy Hollins and George Lindsay. Their first event was held at Pen park on July 7, 2007 in Charlottesville, Virginia. A plethora of athletes attended with their families, causing the event to be a success. As the club continued to grow in March of 2008, five new members were inducted. These members included Curtis Byers, Nelson Jones, Richard Jones, Philip Jones and William Redd, along with honorary member Ronald Sheffey. Our mission is to replace memorabilia that was lost or broken during the closing of the high school as it transition to an Albemarle County middle school. In January 2010 the club added auxiliary members.

Jackson P. Burley High School, 1956.

Photo Source: https://scottsvillemuseum.com/