Embarking on a 1:1 Learning Initiative requires the expertise and careful planning of several key stakeholders. The 1:1 planning team (comprised of members of the APS Technology Task Forces) carefully considered Andover Public School’s Strategic Plan and developed the Andover Public School's Digital Learning Strategic Plan, which is the foundation of the iAndover 1:1 Learning Initiative. Based on the team's findings and reinforced by research, it was concluded that a 1:1 laptop initiative would increase student engagement and productivity, promote a personalized learning environment, and maximize district resources.
Andover Public Schools believes that in order to effectively prepare students for life in today's global world, students must be engaged in learning at school in the same fashion that they are engaged in learning outside of school.
In order to fully participate in today’s global community, students must also master the 4 C’s which are defined as:
- Communication – sharing thoughts, questions, ideas and solutions
- Collaboration – working together to reach a goal – putting talent, expertise and smarts to work.
- Critical Thinking – looking at problems in a new way, linking learning across subjects and disciplines.
- Creativity – trying new approaches to get things done equals innovation and invention.
The iAndover 1:1 Learning Initiative aims to enhance student learning by creating a personalized, student centered learning environment where every student has a laptop to use in school and at home. Students will leverage these tools in the classroom to learn how to collaborate, analyze data, and be effective members of a team.
Aligned with the studies from The Partnership for 21st Century Skills and the Horizon Report, the district's 1:1 learning goals are:
- To increase student engagement and productivity through personalized learning and equal access to technology for all
- To extend and expand learning beyond the school day—anytime, anywhere learning
- To provide authentic and relevant learning experiences
- To promote inclusion by providing opportunities that level the playing field for all children within every classroom
- To foster the 4C's; collaboration, communication, creativity, critical thinking and problem solving, as well as digital literacy, and global awareness.
The idea behind the iAndover Learning Initiative is to get students to take ownership of their learning and to help them develop skills that are critical for success in today’s workforce, which include digital literacy, problem solving, critical thinking and collaboration. Rather than have the teacher be “the sage on the stage,” educators become learning facilitators and activators, who guide students through their education instead of dictating it to them.
The iAndover Learning Initiative was designed to help students meet the demands of the twenty-first century. Students will live and work in a world where people use their devices regularly. They need to learn to use technology safely, effectively, ethically and respectfully. Helping students become responsible digital citizens will enhance not only what educators do in the classroom, but provide our students with the skills and experiences that will prepare them for college and career.
The iAndover Learning Initiative allows students to bring and use their own personal devices in school. The focus of the iAndover Learning Initiative is not about the devices themselves; it is about changing teaching and learning in the classroom environment. Of course, technology alone will not improve learning, but when combined with the right instruction from skilled staff, amazing things will happen. Students become information producers rather than information consumers.
The 1:1 iAndover learning goals align and support our district goals:
- Strategic Plan Focus Area 2: Technology Supported Learning
- Digital Learning: APS students will be immersed in interactive technology rich classrooms that support instruction and student learning to prepare them for a society dominated by digital communication.