A middle school uniquely committed to
balancing both an intensive accelerated academic program
and an in-depth arts program.
MIDDLE SCHOOL 51
MS 51 is a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive school with a community committed to ensuring all children feel supported and successful at this pivotal moment in their lives. Our curriculum, focused on challenging academics, an extensive study of the arts, and social-emotional learning, supports all students while they grow in their knowledge of themselves, one another, and the world. We want all who walk through our doors to feel safe, valued, and capable and to leave here understanding their experiences matter, they have a voice, and that they can use that voice to be aware and productive citizens in an ever-changing world.
Our MISSION is to…
Help create a better tomorrow
Class of 2023 Orientation
Congratulations Class of 2023!
Welcome Accepted- 5th graders -- Class of 2023!
We're so excited to welcome you, virtually, to our school. Given the current situation, we hope you will be patient with us as we figure out how and when we will welcome our accepted students. Typically we have a series of parent and student orientation Meetings in May, but we will be waiting until we have a better sense of when we will be back in the school building before we plan these. Please explore all that we offer via this website.
If you are a parent or guardian and would like to get involved in our Parent Association, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We can't wait to see you in the fall—and hopefully sooner!
Your New MS 51 Community
Orientation Slide Show Below
Diapositivas de Orientación en Español
51 REMOTE LEARNING
#51Strong A video message from our school community
Assistance for Adults
- My 14-Year-Old Isn’t Socially Distancing. What Should I Do?
- Resources for Talking about Race, Racism and Racialized Violence with Kids
- Roots Connected: Recources for talking to Children Racisim and Radicalized Violence
- 5 Ways to Help Teens Manage Anxiety about Coronavirus
- NYC Mental Health Support
- Harmony at Home: Sanford University online toolkit provides activities, resources, lessons for caregivers
- Managing Anger & Frustration
- Singleparenting during Coronavirus Crisis
- Supporting VS Enabling
- When Sibling Wont Stop Fighting
- Preventing Parent Burnout
- Headspace - Minddfulness for NY'ers
Understanding the Coronavirus
- BrainPOP: Coronavirus (4-minute video, activities, and games)
- National Public Radio: Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus
- PBS Kids: How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus (includes a list of videos, games, and activities about handwashing and staying healthy at the bottom of the article)
- Fire Life Saftey Video for students
- Down Dog Yoga app for students
REMOTE LEARNING ENRCHMENT ACTIVITIES
6th-8th Grade Students:
· Adventure Academy Math, art, science and reading for ages 8-13, free during school closures w/code SCHOOL7771
· Arts & Culture Virtually visit 500+ museums and art galleries around the world.
· AYP tech & career lessons From PwC and Code.org, nine 45-min lessons that connect technology and future careers.
· Brains On Award-winning science podcast for kids from American Public Media.
· Coding courses Created by the Creative Computing Lab at Harvard, supports increasing fluency with computational thinking.
· Hidden Worlds of National Parks Google's partnership with the National Parks Services quite literally brings the outdoors inside.
· Drawing classes Author/illustrator Jarrett Krozoczka offers drawing classes on YourTube, daily.
· Khan Academy Offers a personalized learning dashboard with videos and practice exercises, includes math, science, history, etc.
· Kinder Art Art lessons for grades PreK – 8th grade. Free and fee-based lessons available online.
· LUNCH DOODLES Children's author and illustrator Mo Willems invites you to explore new ways of making and writing.
· MathAntics YouTube videos that teach math lessons through animation.
· Reading IQ Reading assessment and digital library of books. Free access w/code SCHOOL7771.
· Safari Tour Ride along on a live safari.
· San Diego Zoo Tour the San Diego Zoo.
· Scholastic Learn at Home Keep the learning going with four daily learning experiences, each built around a meaningful story or video.
· Story Pirates Podcast series with original stories written by real kids, featuring celebrity guests.
· Smithsonian Natural History Museum Virtually visit exhibits in the National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C.
· Supercharged School Online science lessons and experiments. Free and paid content available.
· WOW in the World Guy Raz and Mindy Thomas, radio and podcast stars, serve up science news with a heavy dose of silliness.
· Yellowstone National Park Take a virtual tour of Yellowstone National Park.
Free Microsoft Office for Students & Families
- You will need child's date of birth and phone number or email located on the DOE ATS system
- You can register up to 5 computers/smart devices for free
Congratulations to our Chorus under the direction of Ms. Broderick who will perform a new piece by composer Jen Shyu. Thanks to the American Composers Forum for this amazing opportunity.
MS51 MISSION AND VISION TRANSLATED
Visión de M.S. 51
M.S. 51 es una escuela intermedia abierta, diversa e inclusiva con una comunidad cuyo compromiso es asegurar que todos los niños se sientan apoyados y realizados en este momento decisivo de su vida. Con un contenido enfocado en estudios académicos exigentes, amplio estudio de las artes y aprendizaje socioemocional, nuestro plan de estudios sirve de apoyo a todos los estudiantes mientras desarrollan su conocimiento de sí mismos, de los demás y del mundo. Nuestro deseo es que todo aquel que atraviese nuestras puertas se sienta seguro, valorado y capacitado, y que al dejar la escuela esté consciente de que sus experiencias son importantes, que tiene voz propia y que puede utilizar esa voz para ser un ciudadano consciente y productivo en un mundo en constante cambio.
NUESTRA MISIÓN es...
Empoderar a los niños
Despertar el sentido de curiosidad
Ayudar a crear un mañana mejor
MS 51 是一所賓至如歸、多元化和包容的學校，其社區致力於確保所有學生在其生活中目前 這個重要時候都感到受到支援並有望取得成功。我們的課程著重提供具有挑戰性的學習内 容，包括對藝術的全面學習以及社交情緒方面的學習，幫助所有學生成長，讓他們瞭解自 己、相互瞭解並瞭解世界。我們想讓所有進入我們大門的人感到安全、受到重視並具有能 力，而且想讓他們在離開這裏時理解其經歷是重要的，他們可以發出自己的聲音，以及他們 可以利用這一聲音來成爲不斷變換的世界中的有意識和有貢獻的公民。
OPEN HOUSE INFORMATION
Statement of Accessibility
We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact Julia Castro to request assistance.
William Alexander Middle School 51
350 Fifth Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215