Outside Academic Programs
Below is a list of independent programs which offer academic opportunities to select students throughout NYC. All of these programs will have specific requirements for admission; academic, ethnic and/or financial. The mission of these programs is to provide opportunities for academic and personal growth. Some may assist your child in applying for boarding schools, others in providing summer academic intensives.
We encourage you to view each website for eligibility. If you are interested and qualify for any of the programs, please speak with your child’s guidance counselor. Programs may require parents to register online.
TEAK (6th Grade Only)
Qualified candidates MUST:
- Come from families with financial need
- Be enrolled in sixth grade at the time of their application
- Attend a public or parochial school in one of the five boroughs of NYC and be a NYC resident
- Earn 90% or above in all classes
- Obtained a 337 or above on the ELA State exam and 346 or above Math state exam
- Provide proof of academic merit and family income
- Be citizens or permanent residents of the United States
- Must have strong attendance and punctuality records
Oliver Scholar’s Program (7th Grade Only)
Students must meet all of the following criteria in order to be nominated for our Program:
- Be of African and/or Latino descent;
- Carry a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 90% in sixth and seventh grade in Math, Science, English, Social Studies and Foreign Language, with no score lower than an 85% in any subject;
- Have a raw score in the ELA(English) exam greater than 318 and a raw score greater than 320 on the STM(Math) exam;
- Be an active participant in extracurricular activities;
- Demonstrate leadership potential through school and community involvement;
- Have a strong desire to achieve success and contribute to society.
Prep9 (Criteria for 5th & 6th Grades)
Applications/Nominations to Prep for Prep are encouraged for students who meet the following criteria:
- Of African American, Latino, or Asian descent;
- Currently in the fifth or sixth grade attending a New York City area public, charter, or parochial school;
- Fifth grade students must have a scaled score of 325 or above on the New York State ELA reading exam OR a 323 or above on the New York State Math exam administered during the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Sixth grade students must have a scaled score of 332 or above on the New York State ELA reading exam OR a 335 or above on the New York State Math exam administered during the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Student has stellar attendance and punctuality record.
- If Student does not meet testing criteria but has demonstrated academic achievement through most recent report card grades (3’s and 4’s/90th percentile and above) you may be eligible to apply.
(Criteria for 7th Grade)
Applications/Nominations to PREP 9 (our boarding school program) are encouraged for students who meet the following criteria:
- Of African American or Latino descent.
- Currently in the seventh grade in a public, charter, or parochial school in New York City or the surrounding metropolitan areas (New Jersey, Westchester, Long Island, and Connecticut);
And meet one of the additional following criteria:
- A scaled score of 325 or above on the New York State ELA reading exam administered during the 2014-2015 school year;
- An overall average of 90% or above;
- A scaled score of 324 or above on the New York State Math exam administered during the 2014-2015 academic year.
Achievement at the 95th percentile or higher on one or more subtests of a nationally normed standardized test. (Level 4 on the State Test)