A middle school uniquely committed to
balancing both an intensive accelerated academic program
and an in-depth arts program.
MS 51 is a middle school located in Park Slope, Brooklyn, uniquely committed to a balance of both an intensive accelerated academic program and an in-depth, three-year arts program. At MS 51, our aim is to prepare students for the rigors and challenges of high school, with a challenging academic program aligned to a continuum based on the Common Core Learning Standards. Our students are motivated by highly effective teachers who hold high expectations and know how to engage students in advanced level curriculum. This is supplemented by an intensive focused study of one of six “talent” areas--including vocal music, drama, instrumental music, dance, photography, and fine art--in which students develop a deep connection to their talent as they explore their art and self-expression. Our academic and arts curriculum is rounded out by a strong commitment to community service, sustainability, and philanthropy, with ongoing activities and initiatives that have become infused into the culture of MS 51.
New Student Orientation
for 5th graders at the elementary schools
- Monday, May 20 3:15 pm :PS 24, PS 38, PS 39, PS 124, PS 146, PS 282, PS 321, PS 676 & Misc
- Monday, May 20 4:45 pm : PS 8, PS 9, PS 58, PS 169, PS 172, PS 516
- Tuesday, May 21 3:15 pm : PS 10, PS 15, PS 32, PS 107, PS 130, PS 133, PS 154, PS 261, PS 295, PS 372
- Tuesday, May 21 4:45 pm: PS 1, PS 29, PS 94, PS 131, PS 230
- LeAp daily after school @ MS51
- MS 51 Math Squad with Mr. Osborne
- MS 51 Cooking with Ms. Jones-Walker
- MS51 Run SHSAT Prep Course for current 7th graders
Support our Teachers through DonorsChoose
- Ms. DePalma: Curious, Creative, Contemplative Readers & Writers in Need of Chromebooks
- Ms. Ahart: We Have a Book Shelf Crisis!
- Donate a book through the MS 51 Library Amazon Wish List
Free Microsoft Office for Students & Families
- You will need child's date of birth and phone number or email located on the DOE ATS system
- Visit https://studentoffice.net/
- You can register up to 5 computers/smart devices for free
School Supply Kits
- Order for the 2019 - 2020 School Year
- https://www.starschoolsupply.com/ use code 7603 order deadline is June 30.
- If not getting a kit, please order book for Schoolwide Book Club
Summer Youth Employment Program
- Call (800)246-4646
NYPD School Safety Division
Information on in-school scanning (Metal Detectors)
Senior Activities Information:
- Senior trip: June 10 8 am - 6 pm Six Flags Great Adventure Jackson NJ. Cost is $80 Payment & Permission Slip Due May 29, 2019 download form here
- Senior Awards Night: June 17 at 7 pm invitations to recipients will be distributed on Wednesday June 12
- Senior Celebration: June 12 from 6 - 10 pm at the Grand Prospect Hall. Cost is $70. Download permission slip here.
- Graduation: Tuesday, June 25 at Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) Each family will receive 4 tickets.
- Senior dues: $200 which covers the cost of graduation, cap & gown, yearbook, pictures, senior T-shirt and agenda book was due in December.
Arts Connection Winners
The following students won the Arts Connection contest titled "Brave Is"
Addie Matthews, grade 6
Rita Lopez Villamil, grade 6
Stella O'Flynn, grade 7
Alex Lombardi, grade 7
Boe Berwick, grade 8
Jeffrey Raheb, grade 8
OPEN HOUSE INFORMATION
Statement of Accessibility
We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact Julia Castro to request assistance.
William Alexander Middle School 51
350 Fifth Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215