We are excited to offer this new math program this year for our students. Here is a website for families to help their student with math.
Canvas is where students and parents can monitor progress in all classes. Please check weekly. Canvas is updated weekly and is the BEST way to stay in communication regarding your student's assignments.
This stands for National November Writing Month, Young Writers Program
The month of November our students will be writing a novel! Use the following link to learn more about this online program: https://ywp.nanowrimo.org/
Google Classroom is where you have access to assignments and documents necessary to be successful in our middle school academy. If you are absent or misplaced your assignment, please check the Google Classroom to find out what we did in class that day. Please access your classroom before contacting your teacher.
Google Classroom Code: 6ar5zy
Check here for all 6th grade work
No Red Ink is an online educational tool to help students work at a personalized level to improve their writing. Students will use this program regularly in class and for home study.
Username: students glued their usernames into the front cover of their LA journal
6th: square rabbit 23
7th: strong farm 79
8th: ready rake 92
2nd Semester Language Arts Units:
- We will read the novel The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. We will practice writing a good paragraph in response to a question about each chapter.
- We will be focusing on non-fiction texts, and how to write a well developed paragraph using evidence from the text.
- We will have a poetry unit and will learn about the unique attributes of poetry.
- We will be reading many non-fiction articles and will learn how to write a well developed essay using evidence cited from the text. We will focus on an argumentative essay
- We will be reading short stories, two from Ray Bradbury.
- We will do a poetry unit and will focus on the attributes of poetry
- We will compare a non-fiction text to a fictionalized version of the same story.
- 7th grade will be required to participate in weekly IRQ's, (Individual Reading Questions) . This will be reading on the students own time, and writing a well developed paragraph each week on that reading. More info to come home 1/14.
- We will study the Holocaust from many different sources. Then using evidence from the texts, write a well developed argumentative essay.
- We will study poetry, learning the attributes of poetry
- We will ready the short story, "Flowers for Algernon"
- We will read and analyze Shakespeare's Sonnet #18
- We will study rhetorical analysis as we study famous speeches and the techniques used to persuade an audience.
- 8th grade will be required to participate in weekly IRQ's, (Individual Reading Questions) . This will be reading on the students own time, and writing a well developed paragraph each week on that reading. More info to come home 1/14.
All About Mrs. Call
Hello! I am excited to be one of your child’s teachers for this upcoming school year.
My name is Sharon Call. I graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education. Since graduating, I chose to stay home and raise my four children. During the time I was “at home”, I have been a parent volunteer, pre-school teacher, private tutor, a PTA board member, tennis booster president, and a room mom for all of my children. In 2015, when my last child promoted from elementary school I decided I wanted to go back to teaching full time. I have been a substitute teacher for the past three school years and I spent about 75% of my time in middle school classrooms. I am so excited to be back teaching full time!
My hobbies include swimming, going to the beach, hiking, camping and traveling. I love to read (historical fiction is my favorite genre) and most of all I love spending time with my family! I have four children and an amazing husband of 25 years.
My number one goal with teaching is to provide a safe and productive learning environment for all students. I feel the best way to provide that is with one word: respect. If we respect each other, our room, our school, and supplies, then we can have an amazing learning experience!
Please feel free to reach out at any time! I like to keep open communication at all times. I will be posting our classwork, project assignments and important information here. Feel free to email me at any time. Feel free to make an appointment to come visit anytime as well.
I am looking forward to a fantastic year! laughing, listening and learning!