To enrich the community and inspire lifelong learning by providing free public access to quality materials, services, programs, and ideas in a space that welcomes everyone.
To become a vital center of learning, discovery, and community engagement that is inclusive and accessible to all and that enriches the lives of everyone it serves.
We believe in free access to information and ideas and in supporting learners of all ages. We are committed to preserving the historic character of Jericho Center and the strong community ties that have developed here for centuries. Jericho Town Library is also dedicated to social justice, equity, and strengthening its community. To this end, the library works to interrupt systems of oppression that marginalize individuals and strives to build a community that welcomes and affirms people of all different identities.
The beautiful building which houses Jericho Town Library was built in 1825. It is truly a lovely space, but historic buildings present unique challenges to modern users. Currently, the main floor of the library is only accessible via several steps, and the second floor is accessible via a steep staircase. We are working on a project to increase accessibility so that all patrons can visit us in-person.
The second floor of the library was recently renovated, thanks to a generous donation by the King family, commemorating the life of beloved Jericho resident Kelly King. This donation allowed us to transform our second floor into a Makerspace for all ages and a Play Area for families with young children. Mosaics by local artist Mary Lacy adorn the walls.
Jericho Town Library is a municipal library, established by a vote on Town Meeting Day, March 7, 1899. The collection was situated in various private homes during the early 1900s. With need for more room, the library moved to the former Jericho Academy in 1915, preserving this historic structure built in 1825. In 1955, the State of Vermont paved Browns Trace Road and the building was moved across the street to its present location. The Town of Jericho acquired the building in 2005, although the library is still managed by the Jericho Town Library non-profit organization.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Board meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30pm and are open to the public. Meetings generally take place on the second floor of the library but are often conducted in a hybrid format; please reach out to the Library Director or the Chair of the Board in advance if you would like to attend a meeting virtually.
Minutes from the monthly board meetings can be accessed at the library.