Mrs. Quinn's First Grade
Welcome to first grade! This is my third year teaching at Mount Carbon, and my fifth year teaching first grade. I am born and raised in Littleton, and I am so happy to be serving the community that I grew up in. I have my elementary education degree from CU Denver.
First grade is a huge year for growth. Please continue to read at home with your first grader, at least 5 days a week. You can share the responsibility of reading, and read to your first grader and then have them read to you. Also, it is important to talk about the books you are reading.
The best way to contact me is through email. I try my best to respond to emails within a 24 hour period.
School Phone Number: 303-982-7900
In our room, we have a morning snack time. Please provide your child with a healthy snack for them to enjoy during this time.
Library day is Thursday.
- Reading- This week we are continuing to work on becoming strong readers of nonfiction books. We are learning about the different habits we use when we read nonfiction books. We are working on building our reading stamina and responding to our books with some writing as well.
Snap words list 2 and 3 are in your child's blue reading/communication folder. Please review these words with your first grader. That can count for some of their fifteen minutes of reading.
- Writing- This week we are continuing to work on writing our nonfiction books. This week we working on editing our writing, with a checklist and while we are writing. This is important because it helps to make our writing readable. This week we are also exploring the idea of writing a table to contents for our nonfiction chapter books. We are also exploring the idea of including comparisons in our writing to make sure our reader is understanding what we are explaining.
We are also continuing to work on writing with neat handwriting, including end marks, using fingers spaces, and using capitals appropriately.
- Math- This week we are working on reviewing for our unit 3 assessment. This assessment will include finding an unknown partner, finding an unknown total, solving story problems, using addition to solve subtraction and the opposite.
We are also working on solving addition and subtraction story problems. We use the following process when we are solving them:
- Read the problem
- Think and understand what the problem is asking you
- Make a plan and then solve
- Check your work with another strategy
Math homework is sent home every Friday. As a first grade team, we ask it to be returned by the following Friday. If your child finishes it before then they can turn it in.
- Science/ Social Studies- This week we are continuing to explore our earth materials science unit.
AMP's for this week:
- M- Art
- T- Art
- W- Art
- TH- PE
- F- PE