6th Grade: Language Arts
Hell0! I am so excited to be joining the staff at Drake Middle School. This is my 13th year teaching in Jefferson County. Previously, I have taught intermediate grades at Campbell, Lawrence, and Betty Adams Elementary and am eager to join the 6th grade team. I am a Colorado native-born and raised in the Arvada area- and even attended Drake as a student. I'm looking forward to this new adventure!
Upcoming Units of Study for 2018-2019
- Unit 1: Examining Character Development (August- September)
- Students are co-creating classroom expectations for our literacy workshop
- Students are reading novels in small groups.
- Students are evaluating, analyzing and synthesizing story elements, comparing and contrasting aspects of a variety of texts, understanding literary techniques. and connecting with main character.
- Unit 2: Narrative Writing (September- October)
- Students are understanding aspects of writing process
- Students are revisiting expectations for literacy workshop
- Students are determining attributes of narratives and applying them in their own writing, using mentors to develop their own writing skills, adding dimension to the characters in their own personal narrative
- Students are writing personal narratives
- Unit 3: Determining Perspectives and Points of View (October-November)
- Students are looking at structural difference between fiction and non-fiction
- Students are using and reviewing comprehension strategies: questioning, connections, clarifying, and inferences
- Students are determining perspectives and view points of narrators, characters, and authors.
- Students are comparing and contrasting multiple viewpoints on one common theme.
- Students will uncover author's points of view: incidents, voices, issues, and stories-reveal roles in motivations
- Students are reading short texts in cooperative groups
- Unit 4: Argumentative and Commentary Writing (November-December)
Links to Google Classroom can be found in Links and Tools