Social Emotional Learning
Welcome to the Social Emotional Learning site for the Arvada West Articulation! This is a place for sharing resources and tools to enhance the social emotional wellness of the schools, students, teachers, and families that are in our community.
This is not a comprehensive site and is being updated regularly. If there is a resource you would like to see more of please submit a request at the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/otuYfnda0SGcprLL2
What is Social Emotional Learning?
According to CASEL, social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning: http://www.casel.org/
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs suggests that we must satisfy lower level needs before moving on to achieve higher levels of growth.
When a child does not have their basic needs for food or shelter met, other needs get put on the back burner resulting in a struggle to be successful in school and have positive relationships.
To help students (and families) be successful, you can find a list of resources to help meet physiological needs if you click on the "Resources for Home" link at the top of the page.
Click on the picture to learn more about Maslow's Hierarchy of needs.
- Classroom Tools: Self Awareness: Games to help students identify emotions.
- Classroom Tools: Relationship Skills: An interactive story about when teasing goes too far and becomes bullying.
- Classroom Tools: Social Awareness: Resources to help teach about racial diversity.
- Teacher SEL: Apps recommended by Jeffco's EAP to reduce stress.
- Classroom Tools: Relationship Skills: A couple friendship tools.
- Classroom Tools: Social Awareness: A link to the Random Acts of Kindness website which has numerous resources.
- Classroom Tools: Stress Management: Another video about how stress effects the body.
- Classroom Tools: Social Awareness: Diversity book lists.
- Classroom Tools: Stress Management: A video about how chronic stress effects the brain.
- Teacher SEL: An article about making learning meaningful.
- Classroom Tools: Relationship Skills: An article involving a great activity for classroom community building.
- Teacher SEL: An article discussing how to incorporate SEL into Common Core.
- Resources for the Home: A website with resources on how to help your student manage anger and anxiety.
- Teacher SEL: A website with a variety of learning, behavior, and classroom management techniques.
- Resources for the Home: A website with insights and advice on common concerns and tips for facing challenges many families share.
- Teacher SEL: A video about showing empathy vs. sympathy
- Classroom Tools: Relationship Skills: A video about the bystander effect
- Classroom Tools: Social Awareness: A video about showing empathy vs. sympathy
- Teacher SEL: An article about trauma in students and an article about classroom management
- Teacher SEL: A video on morning meetings
- Classroom Tools: Relationship Skills: A set of lesson plans for reading and writing with a bully prevention theme.
- Classroom Tools: Relationship Skills: A video of students talking about gossip and rumors.
- Resources for the Home: New resources for grief and divorce
- Classroom Tools: Relationship Skills: A resource to use to talk about bullying in the classroom.
- Classroom Tools: Self-Awareness: A website to help students learn about different emotions.