Johnston County Lab School
What is a Lab School Concept?
The “Lab” will be an innovative learning center – a way of re-thinking school as we have known it. In addition to serving as a site for innovative student learning it will also serve as a learning lab for other teachers and administrators in Johnston County Public Schools. The laboratory environment embraces a growth mindset.
What Can I Expect as a Student at JCLS?
Students who attend the Johnston County Lab School (JCLS) will experience a personalized education pathway from 6th grade to graduation in a non-traditional studio setting. Upon completion of 8th grade, students at JCLS will receive priority placement to Johnston County Early College Academy or Smithfield-Selma High School AVID/IB.
As a student at Johnston County Lab School you can expect to:
- Have a high level of voice and choice in YOUR education.
- Learn to take increased ownership of YOUR education.
- Meet or exceed proficiency in YOUR grade-level standards.
- Build positive character and social-emotional skills (SEL or “Soft Skills”).
- Participate in Project Based Learning (PBL).
- Advance through the curriculum as YOU demonstrate mastery of standards/skills (Standards Mastery).
- Be taught by a team of teachers across multiple subjects (Multidisciplinary Teaching).
- Use technology tools and online curriculum(s) for YOUR learning together with face to face instruction (Blended Learning).
- Have early interactions within YOUR community including early access to YOUR future high schools (JCECA, SSS [AVID/IB]).
- Lead presentations with YOUR family on what YOU have been learning and the progress towards your personal goals.
- Have positive relationships with YOUR teachers and classmates (a School Family).
- Participate in fun and engaging learning as well as extracurricular offerings.
Noticing anything yet? This school is about YOU!
Learn more about the Application Process.