The NexSTEM program will provide four-year scholarships to approximately 70 academically successful, low income students from McLean county and the surrounding areas who are committed to pursuing STEM degrees at Heartland Community College (HCC), Illinois State University (ISU), or Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU). Successful applicants will be awarded scholarships of up to $10,000 a year for four years, with the exact amount determined by the student's financial need and the college's cost of attendance. Scholarship recipients who begin their college educations at HCC and then transfer to ISU or IWU will have their scholarship transfer with them.
The NexSTEM program stipulates that scholarship applicants:
- Be citizens, nationals, permanent residents, or refugees of the United States.
- Have significant, demonstrated financial need.
- Be applicants to Heartland Community College, Illinois State University, or Illinois Wesleyan University who will be first-year college students in the fall of 2019 or fall of 2020.
- Be committed to pursing a degree full time.
- Be committed to pursuing a degree in one of the eligible fields: Biological sciences (except medicine and other clinical fields); Physical sciences (including physics, chemistry, astronomy, and materials science); Mathematical sciences; Computer and information sciences; Geosciences; Engineering; and Technology areas associated with the preceding disciplines (for example, biotechnology, chemical technology, engineering technology, information technology, etc.). A list of STEM programs available at HCC, ISU, and IWU is available here.