Two of the resources listed below (ABC-CLIO and Encyclopedia Britannica - EB) are found in information databases that our district subscribes to.
You can access them either on or off campus. On campus, a login is not required. Off campus, use the password info. located in this Google Doc. Log in with your IUSD Google account.
WWII and causes of Cold War
Nuclear Arms Race (1950's)
Inventions of the 1950's
- Shmoop: Science and Technology in the 1950's
- The 50's: Science, Technology, and Inventions (* I usually wouldn't list an About.com web page as a resource for an academic project, but considering that the author's expertise was verified by major publications & the information cross-checks with other sources, I did this time.)
- ABC-CLIO: McCarthy hearings
- Spartacus Educational: McCarthyism
- EB article: McCarthyism (click on blue terms for more info.)
- EB article: Censorship
- American Library Association (ALA): About Banned & Challenged Books - The ALA is a major supporter of intellectual freedom. Here you will find definitions and their position; go here to see their Frequently Challenged Books.
20th Century reading level interest in U.S.
- Decline of reading in the United States
- Decline of reading for fun among children
- Decline of reading for fun among teens
- Raw data: NEA study on reading
Communist "Red" Scare of 1950's
Over-stimulating distractions that impede thought/healthy lifestyles
- The New York Times: Growing Up Digital: Wired for Distraction
- NBC News: Students Can't Resist Distraction ...
- Time magazine: Wired for Distractions: Kids and Social Media
- L.A. Times: Television Viewing At All-Time High
Changing American Family
- ABC-CLIO: Family Issues Overview & Family Life in Contemporary America
- New York Times: The Changing American Family
- NBC News: U.S. Household Size Shrinking