IRCSD BYOD Policy for Staff:
For employees who wish to access the Indian River Central School District (Indian River) technology system on their personally- owned mobile device:
- Review the entire procedure.
- Complete the Agreement Form.
- Submit to the Assistant Superintendent for approval.
- Once approved by the Assistant Superintendent, the District Office will send the Agreement Form to the IT Network Administrator, who will process the request. The Network Administrator will contact the employee to obtain pertinent information needed for the setup of the employee’s mobile device on the Indian River system.
- This service is provided as a convenience for the employee at no expense to the District.
For employees who have been provided a mobile device by Indian River.
- Review the entire procedure.
- Complete the Acceptance Form.
- Submit the form to Technology department.
- Mobile Communication
Approved Mobile device users are expected to understand and follow the procedures below.
This procedure affects all employees, contractors, volunteers, vendors, and any other entity or third party who is supplied a mobile device by Indian River or who is approved to use a personally- owned mobile device on the Indian River network.
Service and Equipment: Only mobile devices that have been approved by Indian River will be allowed to connect to the environment. Current approved mobile devices include “smartphones,” Chromebooks, iPads™, netbooks, laptop computers, other tablet computing devices, eReaders (e.g., Nook™, Kindle™, etc.) and iPods. Indian River will provide access to the user’s mobile service after the IT department receives the approved Mobile Device Acceptance Form. Users are expected to treat the equipment carefully and secure it at all times to prevent theft and to comply with all other Indian River policies and procedures including, but not limited to, the Acceptable Use Policy.
If an Indian River provided or approved device is lost, stolen, or has become unavailable, the user of the device must report the loss to his or her supervisor as soon as possible in order to permit the Technology department to revoke the access afforded to that device.
Users are also required to be cognizant of the confidentiality needs of Indian River and our students and staff members, and to make sure that accessed materials, especially confidential material, are secure from eavesdropping and inadvertent disclosure. To ensure personal safety, users are expected to use their mobile devices only when it is safe to do so and in compliance with all laws and regulations associated with mobile device usage.
Devices not specifically authorized by the Technology department are prohibited from connecting to the Indian River network. Only Indian River provided devices or those authorized by the Technology department are allowed to be connected to any Indian River environment.
Indian River reserves the right to terminate the service offering at any time.
This service is provided as a convenience for the employee at no expense to the District.
The use of any approved mobile device attached to the network falls under the terms and conditions within this procedure.
This procedure does not apply to student- owned devices and does not contemplate permitting student- owned devices onto the network at this time.
Safe Use: The use of mobile devices while operating a motor vehicle is banned in New York State as well as several other states. No driver may use an Indian River- supplied or supported mobile device or use a personally- owned mobile device to conduct Indian River business while operating a motor vehicle. The use of hands-free mobile devices while operating a motor vehicle is permitted provided the user is comfortable with the hands-free technology and the user's driving ability is not impaired by use of that device. In all other circumstances, the mobile device (either hand-held or hands-free) should be used with due regard for the user's own safety and for the safety of others.
- The Indian River Central School District is not responsible for programming individual devices to attach to the wireless network. The connection information will be provided once approved, but users are responsible for attaching the device using the connection information and at their own risk.
- Users will be required to provide the manufacturer, model information, serial number and hardware (MAC) address of the device when completing the wireless approval form. Please see the instructions provided by the manufacturer to obtain this information. The Technology Department is not responsible for obtaining this information from the device for users.
- It is the user’s responsibility to ensure that the mobile device is not being used in a manner unacceptable to Indian River or that violates any laws, regulations, or standards.
- The approved user is responsible for ensuring that no one violates any Indian River policies, performs illegal activities, or uses the mobile device for access to or the replication of sensitive district information. The approved user bears responsibility for the consequences should the access be misused.
- Phone number(s), including personally- owned mobile phones, may be provided to other Indian River personnel in the event that the user must be reached for business or security purposes.
- Indian River is not responsible for any charges associated with personally- owned mobile devices used on the Indian River network.
- The district has the authority to disable and remove a device from the wireless network immediately and without notice. This service is provided as a privilege to the end user. P, please use it responsibly.
- It is the user’s responsibility to inform Indian River of any changes to the user’s phone number(s) or any changes affecting the device’s security within 24 hours of the change.
- It is the user’s responsibility to inform Indian River of any breaches in security, lost or stolen devices, or any other type of event that may compromise confidential data.
- A mobile device may not be used on the Indian River network to solicit or promote commercial ventures, religious or political causes, outside organizations, or any other purpose that is unrelated to Indian River business.
- Cyber-bullying is strictly prohibited. A mobile device on the Indian River network is not to be used to create any offensive or disruptive message. Such messages include, but are not limited to, any messages that are sexually-oriented, racially derogatory, and gender specific, or any other comment that offensively addresses someone’s sex, age, sexual orientation, religious or political beliefs, national origin, or disability.
- A mobile device shall not be used to violate any copyright laws, including, for example, illegally downloading or transferring copyrighted music, movies, videos, etc. The approved user acknowledges that he/she will be solely responsible for any copyright infringement that he/she commits. Moreover, those violating this rule may have their access to the environment revoked as well as be subject to employment discipline and/or criminal/civil liability, in accordance with applicable law.
- Indian River reserves and will exercise the right to review, audit, intercept, access, and disclose all messages created, received, or sent over the mobile device for any purpose. Users should note that all email generated through the Indian River network is archived for later retrieval should that be necessary.
- The confidentiality of any message should not be assumed. Even when a message is erased, it is still possible to retrieve and read that message. Further, the use of passwords for security does not guarantee confidentiality.
- Indian River may retrieve and read any mobile device messages. Employees are not authorized to retrieve or read any mobile device messages that are not sent to them or to their account. Any exception to this rule must receive prior approval of at least two of the following: (i.e., Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, Business Manager, Human Resources, or building principal).
- Employees shall not use a code, access a file, or retrieve any stored information, unless authorized to do so. Employees will not attempt to gain access to another employee’s messages on their mobile device as a favor for another employee. The access is granted only for the approved employee/device owner.
- Employees must take care not to introduce viruses into Indian River systems by not opening messages or documents sent by unknown users. Please ensure your device has the latest patches and when applicable has virus and malware protection in place. If it is determined that your device is causing an issue or interruption on the network for any reason, it will be removed from the system immediately.
- Any employee who discovers a violation of this procedure shall immediately notify the Assistant Superintendent, Network Administrator, or the Business Manager.