Fourth Grade Feature
World Down Syndrome Day
We will be learning more about Down Syndrome throughout the month and on Thursday, March 21, May Watts will be participating in Rock Your Socks Day! For more details about this fun event click here.
Kane County Cougars Games
February's reading reward is tickets to see the Kane County Cougars. Eligible students should have been sent home with order forms. Please note that you must have a parent or guardian come with the student — or students can go with a friend's family. However, no students will be admitted by themselves. Please return these order forms by March 22, 2019. Forms received after this date will not receive tickets.
PTA is raising money for a new playground!
This year our school is turning 30 and so is our playground. We plan to create a wonderful outdoor space that will be filled with new equipment for creative play, an outdoor learning space, and more! Keep an eye out for fundraisers to support the new playground and other ways to be involved in the coming months.
PTA school directory
Box Tops for Education collection time
It's time to collect your Box Tops for Education. Click here for details.
Inside Out Club
Click here to details on how to apply for Inside Out Club.
Student illness guidelines
Our goal is to promote a community of health and wellness at May Watts Elementary School. We would like to take this opportunity to remind you again of the district guidelines, based on best practice standards, which are in place to maximize the health of our students and staff.
If your child is running a fever of one hundred (100) degrees or greater, please keep your child at home until the temperature has been less than one hundred (100) degrees for twenty-four (24) hours, without the use of fever-reducing medications.
If your child is experiencing vomiting or diarrhea, please keep your child at home until these concerns have been resolved for twenty-four (24) hours, and your child is tolerating food.
Colds and respiratory viruses are common during the school year. If your child is coughing continuously or has green-colored nasal secretions, you may wish to consult with your medical provider and follow his/her directions.
If your child is diagnosed with a contagious illness such as strep throat, measles, chicken pox, or pertussis, please notify the school as soon as possible.
As a reminder, frequent hand washing with soap and water is the primary way to prevent the spread of illness.
Thank you for your cooperation in helping us to promote a healthy, happy school environment. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Rhonda Parks, RN, at 630 428-6705.
- March 1: No School: Institute Day
- March 8: Spirit Day and Walk to School Day
- March 7: Bluesteam Book Club, 3:35 p.m.
- March 8: Eco Club Meeting, 3:35 p.m.
- March 10: Daylight Savings Times begins (set clocks ahead 1 hour)
- March 12: PTA Culver's Night Dine and Donate
- March 13: Chorus Concert, 9:30 a.m. for students and 7 p.m. for families.
- March 14: Cricket League, 3:30 p.m.
- March 14: Bluesteam Book Club, 3:35 p.m.
- March 19: Multicultural Night, 6:30
- March 21: Bluesteam Book Club 3:30 p.m.
- March 21: Rock Your Socks Off Day
- March 23-April 1: Spring Break (No School)
- April 2: No School (School Improvement Day)
- April 3: Classes Resume
- Please send your son or daughter to school with a water bottle and a healthy snack. Click here for details.
- If your child will be absent from school or leaving early, please contact the office directly.
- If, for any reason, there is a change in your child's dismissal procedure, please be sure that you send your child's teacher a written notice of the change. This will help us to be sure we follow the correct dismissal procedures.
This Month's Academics
- ELA: Students will work on research feature article on an environmental topic of their choosing. Next, we will explore historical fiction using a variety of titles and activities.
- Math: Students are using their new Chromebooks to use the Zearn math program to work on Module 5 (note that we are teaching modules out of order). This module lets students learn more about fractions.
- Accelerated Math: Students will continue using Zearn as a supplement to small and whole group instruction. We will be finishing our unit on multiplication and division of fractions and whole numbers. Upon the completion of this unit in about 2 weeks, we will start discussing volume.
- Word Study: Students will continue IPSD Word Study program. You can download each week's word list on the word study page. Please practice these words at home as well as reviewing the weekly homophones and homographs.
- Social Studies: Students will complete their study of the Southeast.
- Science: Students will also return to their study of earth science later in the month.