We're continuing our ELA unit for third quarter.
Perspective allows students to realize that everyone has their own point of view. Students will begin to understand and empathize with others.
Our anchor text for this week will be:
- The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles
- The year is 1960, and six-year-old Ruby Bridges and her family have recently moved from Mississippi to New Orleans in search of a better life. When a judge orders Ruby to attend first grade at William Frantz Elementary, an all-white school, Ruby must face angry mobs of parents who refuse to send their children to school with her.
Our current read aloud is:
- Marvin Redpost: A Flying Birthday Cake? by Louis Sachar
- Marvin and Stuart get to sleep over at Nick Tuffle’s house for Nick’s birthday. They set out sleeping bags in the Tuffles’ backyard. Stuart and Nick fall right to sleep, but Marvin tosses and turns. Then he hears a noise, and something glowing zooms over his head. Is it really a flying birthday cake? Or something else? The next day, a very strange new kid shows up at school. . . .
- Please keep the February High Frequency Word List in your child's folder, so that it can be used at school as well. Students need to turn in one Speller's Choice Activity each week. The High Frequency Word Test and February Word Study Skills Assessment will be at the end of the month.
We have finished Unit 4: Adding & Subtracting within 100. The test results will be going home with students next week. Please take time to review with your child. We will be starting Unit 5: Linear Measurement.
We are starting presidential research this week. Students have selected a president that they would like to learn more about. They will present their findings in a written report. All work will be completed at school. Be sure to ask your child who they are researching and intreesting facts they've found.
Homework and Upcoming Dates:
- 3rd Speller's Choice Activity for February due on Friday, 2/22.
- Eureka Math homework sheets are due the next day.
- -Daily reading minutes. Students should be reading 15-20 minutes each day. and recording on the Ozzie's Reading Club Log.
1st Base 1/22/19 2nd Base 2/5/19
3rd Base 2/20/19
Home Base 3/5/19
- 2nd Grade Musical-Monday, 2/25 at 6:30
2G Young Authors
Having fun at the Valentine's Day Party!
2G Specials Schedule
Monday: Music 9:55--10:20
Tuesday: Music 9:30-9:55
Wednesday: Art 9:30-10:20 & P.E. 10:20-10:45
Thursday: P.E. 9:30-9:55
Friday: P.E. 9:30-9-55
Alex and his dad, as his guest reader.
Be In Touch:
- Phone: (630) 428-6941
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org