- Core Subjects:
-ELA -We are moving into the secnd cycle of our ELA Unit Moving Forward – Now What?
Cycle Description - What is the significance of our actions across history, as communities, and individually? What accomplishments have served to pave our paths, moving us forward? What imprint have we left on others’ lives? What changes have occurred? These questions will be examined in Cycle 2.
Our anchor texts will be,
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli and We are America by Walter Dean Myers and Lewis and Clark in the Harcourt anthology.
-Word Study-Lesson 18 Silent Letters
-Social Studies-Westward Expansion
1. In what ways did the United States experience growth during the early 1800’s?
2. How did conflicts and agreements with Native Americans help the country to grow?
3. How did the Industrial Revolution change the way that people lived and worked in the U.S.?
4. How did new forms of transportation increase trade, travel, and settlement in the U.S.?
5. Why did settlers travel west during the middle 1800’s?
Essential Understandings: Students will understand the stars, their composition, life cycle, and their place in space. We are wrapping up our study of astronomy this week, and will have a test the week of 5/1.
-5G Math- We are continuing Module 5 this week.
Area of Rectangular Figures with Fractional Side Lengths
5.NF.B. Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
5.NF.B.6. Solve real world problems involving multiplication of fractions and mixed numbers, e.g., by using visual fraction models or equations to represent the problem.
Homework for week of 4/24:
-Students should have at least 300 minutes recorded for the month of April.
Word Study-study word list and definitions for Lesson 18 (Silent Letters) Test on Friday, 4/28.
Module 5 Lesson 13 Homework Sheet due Wednesday, 4/26
Module 5 Lesson 14 Homework Sheet due Thursday, 4/27
Module 5 Lesson 15 Homework Sheet due Friday, 4/28.
- Upcoming Dates/Announcements:
5G has once again claimed the title for the most reading minutes across the grade levels for the month of March. Keep up the great work in April!
Please return baby photos for the Fifth Grade Farewell this week.
- 4/24-Field Trip to Planetarium
- 4/24-Eco Club after school
- 4/25-Chorus 8:00 am
- 4/27-Earth Day assembly 2:00
- 5/1- Eco Club after school
- 5/1- 5th Grade field trip to Hill MS
- 5/2- Chorus 8:00am
- 5/2- Hill MS Walk-In Registration 3:30-8:00 pm
- 5/3- Hill MS Walk-In Registration 3:30-8:00 pm
- 5/5- MW Spirit Day
- 5/8-Jump Rope for Heart
5G Specials Schedule
Monday: P.E. 2:40-3:05/ LMC 3:05-3:30
Tuesday: P.E. 2:40-3:05/Music 3:05-3:30
Wednesday: Art 2:40-3:30
Thursday: Music 2:40-3:05/Prize Cart 3:05-3:30
Friday: P.E. 3:05-3:30
Be In Touch:
- Phone: (630) 428-6750
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org