Welcome to the Band Program at Indian Mills Memorial School!
Fantastic job at the Winter Concert!
Mark your calendars for our next performance:
Wednesday, June 3rd at 6:30 PM
Practice your Concert Band music by listening to the full track.
Click on the song title to play the track.
5th and 6th Grade 7th and 8th Grade
- The Avengers * Eagle Ridge
- The Red, The White, and the Blues * Canal Street Clambake
- High Falls Overture * The Irish Washerwoman
Instrumental Music Syllabus
I am very excited to be working with students in the band program! My background in band starting in 4th grade when I learned to play the flute. After years in concert band and orchestras, I continued to play throughout college taking classes on all the major instruments. This marks my 15th season on staff with the Seneca Marching Band. I love all aspects of playing an instrument and I hope to encourage the students to find confidence and creativity through their performances.
- Lesson book
- Sharpened pencil with eraser
- Concert Music folder
- Be your best
- Aim for success
- Never give up
- Demand excellence
- Students earn points throughout the marking period in the following ways:
- Weekly points given for being prepared for class. (5 points)
- Minimum of three (3) playing quizzes, musical terms assessment, and/or self-reflection. Quizzes will be announced one week prior to being given and should be recorded in the weekly practice log. (10-15 points)
- Students should drop their instrument off in the band room at the beginning of school and pick it up at the end of the day unless they have concert band the following school day. Any instrument left in the band room over the weekend will result in minus 3 points for the marking period (-3).
- Marking period grades will be determined using the following ranges:
- O = 90 points or more
- S+ = 80-89 points
- S = 70-79 points
- S- = 60-69 points
- U = less than 60 points
- Point totals will be adjusted in the event of a student’s absence or a missed lesson.
- Students are expected to participate in both the winter and spring concerts, or another end of semester evaluation will be provided.
- Winter Concert - Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 6:30 PM, Seneca High School.
- Spring Concert - TBD, Seneca High School auditorium
General Repair and Maintenance:
- Reed players (Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone) must purchase several reeds (one box) at the beginning of school to keep in their cases. Brands recommended are Rico (orange box, good quality) or Rico Royal (blue box, better quality).
- Reeds can be purchased individually from school for $2 each.
- Flute, clarinet, oboe and saxophone should have a swab or cleaning cloth to remove excess moisture inside the instrument.
- Clarinet swabs can be purchased from school for $3 each.
- Brass players (trumpet, trombone, baritone/tuba) should have one bottle of valve oil in their case.
- Valve oil can be purchased from school for $1 each.
- Please notify Mrs. Styers when an instrument is not working correctly. Do not try to “fix” the problem yourself as you may cause more damage to the instrument. If the instrument needs to be sent in for repair, please be aware that it may take a few weeks to repair and be returned to the student.
Weekly Practice Tracking Sheets:
- Students will record at their lesson the exercises and songs to continue practicing at home.
- Students should indicate on their practice sheet the amount of time spent each day practicing.
- Parents should initial at the end of the week.
- Tracking sheets will be checked weekly and prizes awarded at the end of each month.
- Accommodations will be made for student illness or vacation.
Practice takes time.
Time takes effort.
Effort makes you successful.