Parent Teacher Association
PTA Expedited Nominations & Elections Meeting
June 21, 2018 @ 6pm
Set your PTA up to succeed next year!
Dear Parents & Guardians:
This letter begins the process for selection of Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) Officers for the 2018-2019 school year. We are grateful to our current PTA Executive Board Members: President: Villard Richmond, Treasurer: Monique Williams-Batrony, Recording Secretary: Anwar Hossain; these parents have dedicated themselves individually and as a team to the success of the PTA in its service to our school.
We are asking parents for NOMINATIONS to fill the mandatory positions of President, Treasurer and Recording Secretary for the 2018-2019 School Year. Following the process, the Principal’s Designee will hold PTA ELECTIONS on Thursday June 21, 2018 @ 6:00 pm.
Every parent with a child enrolled in our school has received notice and a letter indicating the responsibilities of each Executive Office. I would like to suggest that after carefully reading the responsibilities of the offices, should you feel that you meet the qualifications, please nominate yourself for the position. Should you wish to nominate someone else for a position, you may do so as well. Be aware that current members of the board whose children are not graduating may be re-nominated for executive board positions. Current Officers available for re-nomination are: Villard Richmond, Monique Williams-Batrony, & Anwar Hossain.
All nominations should be placed in a sealed envelope, labeled PTA Nominations and returned to the school office no later than Wednesday, June 20th. You may also reach out to Marilyn Aybar, Parent Coordinator @ 347.563.4545 or firstname.lastname@example.org . For your convenience, this information is also available on www.ditmas.org .
Barry Kevorkian, Principal @ Ditmas I.S. 62
Roles of the Parent Teacher Association Parent Officers
Willingness to be of service is the hallmark of Parent Officers of the Ditmas I.S. 62 Parent Teacher Association. They shall exemplify a dedication and cooperation that will be a support to the Principal. Therefore, consultation and dialogue is essential on a regular basis. The PTA Executive Board meets with the Principal and his cabinet of Assistant Principals, Guidance Counselors & Dean(s) of Students every month.
Responsibilities of the PTA Officers
The President/Co-Presidents shall:
- Preside at all general PTA meetings (generally - 3rd Thursday, once a month)
- Preside at the PTA Executive Board Meetings (generally - 1st Thursday, once a month)
- Preside at the School Leadership Meetings (generally - 3rd Thursday, 4:00 pm)
- Preside at the School Safety Meeting (generally - 1st Wednesday of the month, 7:30 am)
- Preside at the District 20 Presidents Council Meetings (generally - 1st Monday of the month, 7pm)
- Serve ex officio on all Committees
- Appoint an Extended Board, and define its responsibilities
- Shall receive reports from all Committees
- Develop a communication network (telephone/email relay) to share with the Executive & Extended Boards
- Plan a schedule of meetings for the Executive & Extended Boards
- Prepare the annual calendar for the monthly meetings complete with dates, times & agenda; approved by the Principal by the end of August that year for submission to general membership, in September
- Prepare an agenda to be sent to Executive Board, at least two days before each Executive Board Meeting
- Make copies of the By-Laws to be given to officers and committee members at the beginning of their terms
The Recording Secretary* shall:
- Record the Executive Board minutes in an exact, professional manner (must be able to type & email)
- Prepare and send minutes to the executive board two days before Executive Board Meetings
- Prepare, deliver and record minutes of Executive Board and General Members Meetings
- Maintain a historical archive of pictures, happenings and events. This should be cumulative and passed on to the successor at the end of each term
The Corresponding Secretary* shall:
- Keep an organized account of all communication to the Association together with responses which are submitted to the same
- Contact all members about meeting notices
- Assist the President/Co-Presidents in developing the Annual Calendar
*Both secretaries should be available to assist the President/Co-Presidents with the Annual Membership Drive. Membership dues may be accepted at the time of school registration.
The Treasurer shall:
1. Keep an accurate and exact account of all dues and monies that come into the Association
2. Record every amount that is paid out and indicate the reason for payment
3. Render Annual & Interim Financial Reports to the Principal & The Office of Family Engagement & Advocacy (OFEA); render a financial report at the Executive Board and General Members Meetings. This report should be co-signed by the Principal, President/Co-Presidents & Treasurer
4. Co-sign checks with the President