Welcome to ICS Addis
Starting School at the Beginning of the School Year
The first day of school for the 2018-19 school year will be Monday 27 August 2018. Click HERE for the full year calendar.
New families should plan to arrive in Addis the week before, to attend the new family orientations on Thursday and Friday, 23 and 24 August 2018.
Elementary school: new family orientation on Friday 24 August. Early childhood families already in Addis will also have the opportunity to visit the Little Eagles Nest in May 2018.
Middle and high school: counselor meetings during the week of 20 August (Monday-Wednesday) and new family orientation on Thursday 23 August. Specific meeting appointments will be set in May/June by the Counseling Office.
Orientations for New Families
- New family orientations are scheduled for the beginning of the school year (August) and for the beginning of the second semester (January).
- Families starting school outside of these times will be contacted by the Admissions Office to set up an individual orientation.
Starting School during the School Year
If you are unable to start school at the beginning of the school year, please keep us updated on your expected arrival date. While we do want your child to start school as soon as possible, it is important to give the child sufficient time to recover from travel, to see the campus and to take care of any remaining formalities or assessments, before the child starts school. Please contact the Admissions Office via email or phone to set up an appointment to visit and/or to start school.
On your child's first day of school, please arrive at ICS between 7:30 and 7:45 AM and come to the reception desk. We can then escort you and your child to class. Student in elementary school will need a snack. We will assist you in organizing lunch purchases, if you wish.
Visit the above blog to view emails sent to new families from the Admissions Office
- EC is Early Childhood (EC2, EC3, EC4): preschool for 2-4 year olds
- ES is Elementary School: kindergarten to grade 5, but often includes early childhood as well
- MS is Middle School: grades 6-8
- HS is High School: grades 9-12
- PYP is the Primary Years Program: curricular framework in ES
- IBDP or IB is the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program: two year diploma program completed in grades 11 and 12
To Do List: Before and After Your Arrival in Addis
Before Arriving in Addis
- Submit Enrollment Contract (issued upon acceptance, through the OpenApply system)
- MS/HS students: purchase any school supplies not available in Addis. Many items are available in the ICS school store. The supply lists are available in the MS and HS sections of this website.
- For MS/HS students, submit all course requests to Admissions Office and schedule any needed assessments. Admissions will provide further information.
After Arriving in Addis
- Submit emergency contact form or provide one or more local contact numbers to the Admissions Office if the form cannot yet be fully completed
- Submit final report cards and/or official transcripts (for high school students); documents can be emailed directly from your current school
- Come to reception to have your photo taken for your parent ID card, if not done during orientation
- Submit ID form and police clearance for household staff (driver, nanny, etc)
- For MS/HS students, purchase physical education (PE) uniform at school store
After Starting School
- Make tuition payment (generally due two weeks after student begins school)
- Access the ICS wifi network (GuestNet) - username and password are posted in the Community Commons and the cafeteria
- Get involved! Meet the Parent Community Link (PCL) and Booster Club, come to parent and student events, spend time on our beautiful campus.
Essential All School Information
ICS Addis follows an August to June school year calendar. The calendar for the 2017-18 school year is available HERE. Tuition and fees information for 2017-18 is available HERE. The 2018-19 school year calendar is available HERE.
- All students attend school Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 3:20 PM for kindergarten to grade 12
- Wednesdays are always an early release day at 2:00 PM for students in kindergarten to grade 12
- Students in early childhood (EC2, EC3 and EC4) attend from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- ICS has an on-campus cafeteria for students. More information about the ICS Student ID/Prepaid Card Service for lunch and snack purchases is available HERE.
After School Activities:
- After school activities (ASAs) are available for students in grade 1 through grade 12 and include clubs, activities and athletics.
- Registration for ASAs is online, but new families who arrive in the middle of an ASA season are welcome to contact the Athletics and Activities Office directly to discuss their options.
- Season 1 ASAs start in early September with indoor activities, at the end of the rainy season, Season 2 starts in November and Season 3 starts in March. More information on ASAs, click HERE.
- Students fluent in a language other than English may be able to join our Mother Tongue Maintenance Program, which runs on Wednesday afternoons from 2:15 to 3:15 PM. Mother tongue groups are run by parent volunteers, and we usually have about 20 different groups.
- ICS students interested in learning Mandarin may join a fee-based program that will start in August 2017. Students must be age 10 and up. Contact the Elementary School Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Technology and the 1:1 Laptop Program:
- ICS has a 1:1 laptop program for students in grades 6 to 12. Click here for more information.
- Students in grades 6 and 7 must use the school laptop; there is a 3,000 Ethiopian birr deposit for the laptop that must be paid before your child can take the laptop home. Students in grade 8 may choose to bring their own laptop, if they prefer.
- New students entering grades 9-12 must bring their own laptop.