Dual Enrollment & AP & Early College

The Livingston County Early College is a unique opportunity for students to earn college credits, an associate’s degree, industry credentials or technical certificates in a Career Pathway while in high school. Students will begin blending their high school course work with CTE programs and college level coursework in 11th grade, adding additional college courses in 12th grade and complete a full schedule of college coursework in a 13th year.

Early college courses will be taken at local area high schools, community colleges and extension campuses such as Mott Community College at M-Tech and Lansing Community College at Parker Middle School in Howell, MI. The Livingston County Early College is available to Livingston County high school students through a partnership of Livingston County public school districts and the Livingston Educational Service Agency (LESA).

Dual Enrollment at Howell HS

Students in the Howell Public Schools may qualify for enrollment in undergraduate courses in college-level accredited institutions even as they are completing required and elective coursework leading to a Howell High School diploma. Students are allowed to take up to 10 dual enrollment classes in grades 9-12. This opportunity falls within Michigan’s Public Act 160, the Post-secondary Enrollment Options Act.

  • Who is eligible to Dual Enroll?

    • Students who are in grades 9 – 12

    • Students who have earned a qualifying score on the ACT, PLAN, PSAT, or Michigan Merit Exam in the subject that is consistent with the content area of the college class

    • See the minimum qualifying scores from Michigan Dept. of Ed

    • Students who are enrolled in at least one course at Howell High School.

  • What type of class can I take?

    • Any course that is academically or career oriented.

    • Any course that is not already taught at Howell High School.

    • Any course that is offered by the school district but, in taking, would create a scheduling conflict.

      • AP courses have precedence over entry-level post-secondary courses with similar content.

      • Excluded courses include the following: divinity/theology, hobby/craft, recreation/physical education.

  • Where can I take dual enrollment courses?

  • What will my schedule at HHS look like?

    • You will need to be enrolled in a minimum of one HHS class per semester.

    • One college class will take the place of one of your HHS classes.

  • What is the cost associated with dual enrollment?

  • Will I earn both college and high school credit?

    • You can choose to earn credit at HHS and your grade will factor into your high school GPA. If you choose not to count your college classes toward high school credit, your grade and credit will not be included in your GPA or total credits.

    • You will earn college credit from the college in which you dual enroll; however, it will be up to your final college choice (after high school graduation) as to whether they will accept the credit as college credit.

  • When do I sign up?

    • If you are interested in fall dual enrollment, it is best to see your counselor in early April of the preceding year.

    • If you are interested in spring dual enrollment, it is best to see your counselor in early October in the current school year.

    • Keep an eye on college admissions & registration deadlines as they vary.

  • How do I apply?

    • Apply online to the college of your choice. It is your responsibility to know the registration deadlines for the college.

    • Click here print off the Howell High School Required Dual Enrollment Paperwork and bring it to your Counselor.

    • Follow your Counselor’s directions explicitly.

      • After admittance to the college and meeting with your Guidance Counselor, meet with a College Admissions Counselor about eligible and appropriate classes.

      • You are responsible for making sure the college has all the paperwork required.

      • Register for classes. Keep in mind you must give yourself enough time for travel.

    • Bring your counselor a copy of your college schedule. Payment for your college class/classes will not take place without a copy of your college schedule.

    • When a course is complete, the student must request that official college transcripts be sent to the Howell High School Counseling Department.