Caring, nurturing, challenging
Personal Learning Coach
Learning Hubs are small groups of no more than 15 students with a Learning Coach. This key person forms strong relationships with and works in partnership with students and their families for their time at Hobsonville Point.
The Coach provides a caring environment for academic and pastoral mentoring and guidance, and ensures each student is following a robust, challenging programme. Learners remain with the same Learning Coach for their time at school. The Learning Hub is a time for learners to be exposed to a wide range of ideas, interests, skills and experiences which support their learning. During Learning Hub time students develop skills around learning to learn, and the habits to be successful inquirers and self-directed learners.
The Learning Coach works with students to identify passions and link their interests and needs to their learning. Learners negotiate their LearnPath (personalised learning programme) with their Coach to ensure that what they are learning is relevant to them. The Coach supports and guides students to set and meet challenging learning goals.
Supporting academic and personal excellence
The Learning Coach supports learners to reach academic and personal excellence by:
- Tracking progress, negotiating and reviewing short and long term goals
- Working with students to maintain a learning portfolio
- Discussing learning issues and finding solutions
- Providing pastoral care
- Linking learning to passions and interests
- Providing guidance for life beyond school including career pathways
- Building on learners’ capacities to take responsibility for their learning