History of department
Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology was established in 1868. Its first Head Professor P. Peremezhko was born on July 12, 1833 in the village of Rybotin (Tchernihiv district) to the family of nobleman. Kyiv University Medical Faculty graduate he have worked in the city of Kazan for five years before his election to Kyiv Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology.
P. Peremezhko proved to be a talented scientist. In his doctoral dissertation he described “muscle nuclei” and demonstrated their role in the processes of muscle development and regeneration. In fact he discovered myosatellitocytes, which were described again in only 1961 by A. Mauro, who used for this purpose an electron microscope.
P. Peremezhko belongs to the group of the European scientists of XIX century, who discovered and described the process of indirect cell division – mitosis. Beside this he made brilliant descriptions of microscopic structure of spleen, thyroid gland and hypophysis.
P. Peremezhko created a scientific school. Among his disciples were Professors J. Yakimovich and F. Lominsky. J. Yakimovich headed Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology in 1891-1904. He investigated the process of muscle fibers regeneration, the structure of axons, ligaments and teeth.
Professor F. Lominsky headed Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology in 1905-1924. When a student he described the mitosis of neuroblasts and proved that this process took place only in embryos. He was the author of very interesting investigations, concerning reactive changes of neurons under chemical and mechanical injury, differentiation of neurons, structure of lens and pancreas.
From 1925 till 1929 the Head of Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology was Professor O. Chernyahivsky, the disciple of F. Lominsky. He was born on December 9, 1869 in the village of Mazenets (Kyiv district) to the family of a priest. A graduate of Kyiv University Medical Faculty he was an expert in the field of microscopic structure, reactive changes and embryogenesis of autonomic nervous system and neuroglia. He collaborated with neurohistologists from Italy, Germany and Spain. Noble Prize winner Professor S. Ramon-y-Kajal recognized the investigations of the Ukrainian scientist.
After O. Chernyahivsky in 1929-1953 Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology was headed by Professor S. Shahov, who was a well-known embryologist. He described an asymmetry of embryonal layers, proved the role of ectoderm in formation of mesenchyme, clarified some obscure areas in embryogenesis of thyroid gland, thymus and meninges.
From 1954 till 1975 Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology was headed by Academician M. Zazybin. He was born on December 21, 1903, in Taganrog to the family of a teacher. He graduated from the Medical Faculty of the Donsky University and have worked at Ivanovo Medical Institute for about twenty years.
In 1944 M. Zazybin was elected the Head of Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology of Dnipropetrovsk Medical Institute and in 1954 moved to Kyiv. Here he organized the best Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology in the former Soviet Union. He created a scientific school. Among his disciples were Professors K. Kabak, A. Kolomiitsev, G. Konstantinovsky, V. Karupu, V. Yatsenko. He wrote a fundamental monograph “Embryogenesis of the Peripheral Nervous System”.
In 1976 M. Zazybin became a consultant to the Department and recommended Professor K. Kabak to be elected as the Head of Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology.
Professor K. Kabak headed Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology in 1976-1992. He continued to investigate the nervous system, determining characteristic features of neuro-glial and neuro-desmal interactions in fetuses, newborn, adult and elderly persons. In 1982 Professors A. Kolomiitsev and V. Yatsenko were awarded the State Prize for their accomplishments in the study of conjunctive tissue response to implantation of polymeres. In 1993 Professor K. Kabak (with co-authors) was awarded State Prize for the Textbook in Histology.
From 1992 Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology is headed by Professor Yu. Chaikovsky. For the last ten years under his supervision Associate and Assistant Professors of the Department have developed new textbooks, computer programs and tests. Scientific works of the Department staff were devoted to the problems of reactive changes of spinal cord, spinal ganglia, peripheral nerves under the influence of various inner and outer factors.