MoH - Medical Laboratory Technologist III
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST III
NATIONAL BLOOD TRANSFUSION SERVICE
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
Position : Medical Laboratory Technologist III
Reports to : Medical Director
Job Summary: The incumbent supervises all blood bank laboratory activities. Work involves supervising and training of laboratory staff and providing technical assistance where necessary. Work is performed with considerable independence under the supervision of the Medical Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises all laboratory activities in the field of Blood Banking.
- Supervises and trains laboratory staff in the principles, procedures, methods, techniques and practices of Haematology and Blood Banking.
- Prepares reports and keeps records of progress and production.
- Organizes, plans and supervises the technical processes relating to blood banking.
- Oversees the writing and updating standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Oversees lab participation in quality control exercises.
- Teaching laboratory staff, nurses, doctors and the public.
- Monitors the separation of blood into its components.
- Prioritizes the distribution of blood components to public and private hospitals on the basis of need and in accordance with accepted guidelines.
- Organizes and supervises the screening of donated units for transfusion-transmissible infections (TTIs).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of medical laboratory tests in the field of blood banking.
- Knowledge of new techniques.
- Ability to perform tests, draw conclusions and prepare reports.
- Knowledge of internal and external quality assessment.
- Knowledge of the possible complications of transfusion and guidelines for the efficient use of blood components.
- Ability to supervise juniors and give advice on blood banking.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, respectful working relationships with colleagues and the public.
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Associate Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology from a recognized institution OR
- BSc. in Medical Laboratory Technology from a recognized institution.
- Registered with the Council for Professions Related to Medicine in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Five (5) years to Eight (8) years previous work experience in blood bank.
- Specialty training in Haematology and/or Blood Banking and/or transfusion practice will be an asset.