MoH - Medical Entomologist
INSECT VECTOR CONTROL DIVISION
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
Position : Medical Entomologist
Reports to : Manager, Entomological Unit/Designated Officer
Job Summary: The incumbent provides support in the management of the Entomological Unit within the Insect Vector Control Division.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs operational investigations and basic research on mosquitoes and other arthropods in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Studies insect distribution and habitat and recommends methods to prevent importation and spread of injurious types.
- Reports to the Senior Entomologist and Registrar of the IVCD on a daily basis regarding entomological problems that occur nationally.
- Performs scientific research and investigation into insects and pests, which may or may not transmit diseases locally but are present in the immediate environment.
- Trains and supervises technical and laboratory staff assigned to the IVCD Laboratory.
- Assists the Senior Entomologist with conferences: can conduct scientific meetings with local technical experts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to conduct insecticide resistance tests.
- Knowledge of the Hylesia Metabus moth and ability and willingness to conduct research on such.
- Ability to conduct lectures to the public, health personnel and medical students.
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology/Zoology with course work and exposure in Medical Entomology.
- Experience in Aedes Aegypti and Dengue control.
- Experience in Malaria parasitology (microscopy) and control of the Anopheles mosquito.
- Experience in Aedes Albopictus control.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience.