MoH - Manager, Entomological Unit
MANAGER, ENTOMOLOGICAL UNIT
INSECT VECTOR CONTROL DIVISION
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
Position : Manager, Entomological Unit
Reports to : Designated Officer
Job Summary: The incumbent manages the Entomological Unit within the Insect Vector Control Division.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans and implements insect surveys and pest management programmes.
- Investigates the various types of chemicals and biological control for insects that spread diseases such as dengue fever carrying Aedes Aegypti mosquitoes.
- Performs operational investigations and basic research on mosquitoes and other arthropods in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Studies insect distribution and habitat and recommends methods to prevent importation and spread of injurious types.
- Reports to the Senior Medical Officer, IVCD and Principal Medical Officer on a timely basis regarding insect outbreaks that are of medical importance nationally.
- Liaises and informs the junior Entomologist attached to the Division on progress of all programmes.
- Reports to the Registrar of the IVCD on a short-term basis regarding entomological problems that occur nationally.
- Performs scientific research and investigation into insects and pests, which may or may not transmit diseases locally but are present in the immediate environment.
- Trains and supervises technical and laboratory staff assigned to the IVCD Laboratory.
- Liaises with international/foreign Entomologists.
- Conducts research into the impact and control of insect pest problems.
- Coordinates public awareness and education programmes.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to conduct insecticide resistance tests.
- Knowledge of the Hylesia Metabus moth and ability and willingness to conduct research on such.
- Ability to conduct lectures to the public, health personnel and medical students.
- Knowledge of research methodologies.
- Must have at least ten (10) to twenty (20) publications covering the above topics.
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- PhD in Biology/Zoology with training in Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
- Experience in Aedes Aegypti and Dengue control.
- Experience in Malaria parasitology (microscopy) and control of the Anopheles mosquito.
- Experience in Aedes Albopictus control.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience.