MoH - Head of Tobacco Education and Prevention Programmes
HEAD OF TOBACCO EDUCATION AND PREVENTION PROGRAMMES
TOBACCO CONTROL UNIT
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
Position : Head of Tobacco Education and Prevention Programme
Reports to : Manager, Tobacco Control Unit
Job Summary: This position will oversee the development and execution of public health education programmes to reduce the negative consequence of tobacco use. The responsibility of this position is to develop and deliver tobacco education and prevention programmes on Tobacco Control Act and National Tobacco Programmes to a variety of audiences.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops requirements and guidelines related to tobacco education and prevention programme.
- Identifies the scope and scale of programme requirements for key programme areas required to meet the mandate created by the Tobacco Control Act.
- Conducts gap-analysis to identify the needs for new programme development and implementation.
- Identifies key partners and service providers. Provides the Manager with information on the requisite relationships to inform the drafting of agreements and Memoranda of Understanding.
- Assists with the development of the annual estimates and work plans.
- Designs, coordinates and implements tobacco education and prevention programmes, training sessions and workshops in collaboration with the Ministry’s Corporate Communication and Health Education and Health Promotion Units.
- Keeps current on tobacco education and prevention issues.
- Oversees and/or collaborates on the creation and release of information resources; including media materials, international tobacco control policy positions and Ministry of Health tobacco control facts and figures.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as required.
- Submits quarterly reports to the Manager, Tobacco Control Unit.
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Health Promotion, Education or Mass Communication (with courses in Health Education/Health Communication) or a related Social Science.
- Three (3) years of experience leading the development and management of adult education, social marketing and communications programmes/products in the health field.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Health Promotion, Education or Mass Communication (with courses in Health Education/Health Communication) or a related Social Science.
- Five (5) years of experience leading the development and management of adult education, social marketing and communications programmes/products in the health field.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Communication skills including excellent writing, oral and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of social media and online communication tools.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and conduct training seminars.
- Ability to conduct training programmes, seminars and workshops
- A strong understanding of health promotion messaging.
- Ability to use analytical skills to frame and facilitate substantive and focused discussions of monitoring reports and related issues.
- Specific tobacco-related knowledge and experience will be an asset.
- Technical literacy with computer software.