Back to School Information
High Tech High School / Academy of Career and Technical Education
RETURNING STUDENTS ONLY
IF RE-ENROLLMENT PACKET IS NOT SUBMITTED BY THE DUE DATE OF WEDNESDAY, JULY 15, 2020, YOUR CHILD WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THEIR SCHEDULE!
YOU WILL RECEIVE A VERIFICATION EMAIL WHEN THE BACK TO SCHOOL FORMS HAS BEEN VERIFIED.
Dear Students and Parents/Guardians:
Welcome to the 2020-2021 School Year! It will be a year of continued growth for our students and development for our educational community.
Reporting Schedule is tentative and subject to change based on guidance from the NJ Department of Education and local health officials. The Final Reporting Schedule will be released in August upon approval. Thank you for your understanding.
Full-time students will report to school as follows:
- Hybrid/In-Person Instruction will begin Monday, September 21, 2020. Click here to read The Road Back & Restart Update letter.
Absences & Late Arrivals
- Remember that any absence from school is to be reported each day to Mr. Rivera in the Attendance Office at 201-662-6806, option 1. Missing the regularly scheduled bus may constitute an unexcused tardy or absence.
- Please avoid scheduling appointments for your child during the school day; schedule all appointments after school or on non-school days. If an appointment is absolutely necessary, you must contact Mr. Rivera by phone or by letter. This procedure will enable us to prepare the necessary forms so that your child can be signed out during the school day. Please direct your child to meet you at the Main Office at the designated time.
- Tardiness will not be tolerated. Unexcused lateness may result in an assigned detention from 7:30 – 8:30 AM on the following scheduled school day. Continued lateness will result in a parental conference to determine the next course of action.
- If a student becomes ill at school and needs to go home, the procedure is as follows: The parent/guardian goes to the Security Desk and is escorted to the Nurse's office to get the student.
- HCST/High Tech High School is not responsible for lost, misplaced or stolen items including, but not limited to school books, cell phones, clothing, personal items, all electronic devices, etc. It is your responsibility to secure your personal items in your assigned locker. Do not share your locker or locker code with anyone.
- In addition, we are required to notify you that the principal or designee may conduct a search of a student’s person or belongings if the search is necessary to maintain discipline and order in the school, and the school official has a reasonable suspicion that the student is concealing contraband. (N.J.A.C.6:3-6:1-6:6).
- According to Public Law 2005, Chapter 266 (C.18A:35-4.24 & C.18A:35-4.25), students have the right to decline to dissect, vivisect, incubate, capture or otherwise harm or destroy animals or any parts thereof as part of a course of instruction. Within two weeks of receipt of this notice, the law requires parents or guardians to notify the school of their desire to have their child exempt from participation and provided with an alternative education project. If you wish to have your child exempt from participation, please notify us in writing by September 18, 2020.
- All students must have begun the Hepatitis B Vaccination process prior to the beginning of school. All physical examination and vaccination forms must be submitted to our staff on the first day of attendance. Students will not be allowed to begin school without the proper paperwork on file.
- Students, who are planning to participate in our Intramural or Dance Programs, must have an annual examination on file for this school year. The completed physical examination will also be used to certify the physician’s section of student working papers. The physical examination form was mailed to all students in June.