Work at HCS!

Substitute Applicant Instruction Page

Application Requirements

To: Substitute Applicant

Thank you for your interest in Haleyville City Schools as a substitute, part time worker.

A. You must be 21 years of age

B. All procedures and documentation as instructed below must be completed prior to being eligible to substitute.

A substitute teacher license is not required for substituting in the following positions (lunchroom, nurses, bus drivers, custodian, or office workers).

If you are a certified teacher, please furnish a copy of valid teaching certificate and you will not have to complete the application for a Substitute Teacher License.


Please complete the following and return to Haleyville City Board of Education:

1. Haleyville City Schools Substitute Application

2. State Department of Education Substitute Application

3. To pay for Substitute License - pay online @

· Once payment information is complete print the payment confirmation.


· Bring a $30.00 Certified Check or Money Order made payable to the Alabama Department of Education to the Haleyville City Board of Education.

4. Fingerprint/Background Clearance Procedure –

· Registration and payment must be completed online.

· After online completion, go to Budget Rent to Own, located in Haleyville, AL for fingerprinting.

· Remember to keep a copy of your confirmation number.

5. Form I-9 – Employment Eligibility Verification Form

6. Form W-4 – Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate

7. Form A-4 – Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate

8. Direct Deposit Form, along with copy of blank voided check

9. Erin’s Law Training: All Haleyville City Substitutes are now required to go through State of Alabama Training for Erin’s Law. The training is on-line and may be done at your

convenience at home. At the end of the training you will need to print out the Certificate of Completion and turn in to the Board of Education office.

You will also need to bring the following to the Haleyville City Board of Education:

· Copy of GED or High School Diploma

· Copy of Driver’s License

· Copy of Social Security Card

· Copy of Teaching Certificate (if applicable)

· Copy of State Board Nursing License (if applicable)

· Copy of CDL (if applicable)

Process Completion

· After the State Department issues your Substitute License, you will be notified to attend a Substitute Workshop at the Haleyville City Board of Education.

· After completion/receipt of all of the above, you will be added to the Substitute List for the Haleyville City School Board to approve at the next meeting.

· Once you have been approved by the board, you and each school will be notified that you have been added to the substitute list.

General Information

· The limit you can work during a week is no more than 30 hours, which averages to about 4 days per week. There is NO exception to this rule.

· Substitutes are paid monthly for days worked in the previous month. Checks are paid on the last working day of the month and check stubs are mailed to you.

· Click below for information regarding Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage and Employer Offered Health Coverage.

On the FIRST DAY you substitute for Haleyville City Schools, you will need to report to the office at the school where you are substituting. The Payroll Manager will provide you a user name and password for our Electronic Attendance System.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office.