The American Dream
Module 5 - The American Dream
- Mod 5 Overview
- Mod 5 Checklist
- Mod 5 Readings and Media
- Learning Support Tools
Click the link below to submit the final draft of your digital project:
American Dream Project Submission Form
James Truslow Adams, in his 1931 book The Epic of America stated that the American dream is "that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement.” Such sentiment was evident earlier in American history as well. The authors of the United States’ Declaration of Independence held that “all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness." Might this sentiment be considered the foundation of the American Dream? Were homesteaders who left the big cities of the east to find happiness and their piece of land in the unknown wilderness pursuing these inalienable rights? Do immigrants who come to the United States looking for a better life and more liberty than their native countries provide define the Dream? Is the American Dream attainable by all Americans?
This unit will examine the events that defined the origin and evolution of the American Dream as a guiding concept in American society and culture. For the major assessment product for this module, students will work in small groups to develop a research prompt related to a specific group in America and their experience with the American Dream beginning in the 1960s through present day. Their findings will be delivered through a multimedia presentation.
- Module readings and evidence log entries (2/26-3/4)
- The Looming Tower: Ch. 8- 2/28; Ch. 9 - 3/5; Ch. 10 - 3/7; Ch. 11 - 3/11; Ch. 12 - 3/14; Ch. 13 - 3/18; Ch. 14 - 3/21; Ch. 15 - 3/25; Ch. 16 - 3/28
- Evidence log for Module 5 due (3/6*)
- Socratic seminar covering the readings (3/6)
- American Dream Project (3/6-3/19)
- Module 5 Note Packet
- Module 5 Test (4/8)
- Latin roots lists and quizzes in English (TBD-- see class calendar)
Readings and Media
- American RadioWorks: A Better Life, Creating the American Dream - (jigsaw activity directions)
- PBS Makers: Women Who Make America Clip 1 - "Awakening" Clip 2 - "Gloria Steinem: Feminist Activist"
- Pedro Pietri - "Puerto Rican Obituary"
- Sherman Alexei - "Indian Education"
- J.D. Vance - "America's forgotten working class"
- American Dream Project Directions
- Collaboration Strategies and Forms
- Group Contract Template
- Group Contract SUBMISSION (upload a pdf version of your contract to the folder in the link)
- Project Check-In Form (to be completed daily, by each group member, starting 1/28)
- SUBMISSION FORM
- A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry (play)
- A Raisin in the Sun directed by Daniel Petrie (movie based on Hansberry's play)