Video Storage/Content Sharing
What is it?
YouTube provides a platform for sharing educational content, your own instructional videos, and displaying students' demonstrations of learning.
How does it work?
Every HCS employee with email credentials can use YouTube for instructional purposes. Since it's linked to your HCS account, click the app launcher from your email window ("waffle") and scroll down to find YouTube.
How will I use YouTube with students? How do I curate videos into a playlist?
Read the article below to find great resources and suggestions of how other educators create and use YouTube playlists.
Create a new channel
With a Google Account, you can watch and like videos and subscribe to channels. However, without a YouTube channel, you have no public presence on YouTube. Even if you have a Google Account, you need to create a YouTube channel to upload videos, comment, or make playlists. You can use a computer or the YouTube mobile site to create a new channel.
Create a personal channel
Follow these instructions to create a channel that only you can manage using your Google Account.
- Sign in to YouTube on a computer or using the mobile site.
- Try any action that requires a channel, such as uploading a video, posting a comment, or creating a playlist.
- If you don't yet have a channel, you'll see a prompt to create a channel.
- Check the details (with your Google Account name and photo) and confirm to create your new channel.
Verify your account by phone
You can get started with verification by going to youtube.com/verify. You'll be asked to provide a phone number for account verification, so we can send you a verification code via voice call or SMS.
Once you've verified your account, you will be able to upload videos longer than 15 minutes.
You may also be asked to verify your account when signing up.
Why does YouTube ask for my phone number?
We take spam and abuse very seriously. Using phones to verify identity is one way to protect our community and combat abuse.
YouTube will use the phone number you enter to send you a verification code and to check that the phone number is not being used on a large number of accounts. We do not sell your personal information to anyone.
I entered my phone number but I haven't received the code
Usually you'll receive the code immediately. If you haven't, you can request a new code. Check to see that you're not running into one of these common problems:
- Some countries and carriers do not support text messages from Google. Most mobile carriers support text messages from Google. If your carrier does not support text messages from Google, you can try the voice call option, or use a different phone number.
- There are too many accounts with the same phone number. If you see the error message, "This phone number has already created the maximum number of accounts," you'll have to use a different number. To help prevent abuse, we limit the number of accounts that can be associated with each phone number.
Earn PD points!
Create a channel and curate at least one titled instructional playlist with a minimum of 5 pertinent videos and share the links to both in the form.
How do I share my playlist with my students?
Click your profile icon, select Creator Studio>Video Manager>Playlists>choose desired playlist>copy URL and share with students.
(This course is worth 5 points.)