Sanger House 1886
The Sanger house was built in 1886 by Casper Sanger, a wealthy tanner, farmer and Milwaukee Co. sheriff, as his county gentleman farm. In 1893 Sanger had financial problems and deeded the farm to the Sanger Land Company which subdivided some of it and in 1898 leased the house and several surrounding acres to Dr. Byron M. Caples, who established the Waukesha Springs Sanitarium for the treatment of nervous disorders. In 1903, Caples opened a much larger building for the sanitorium but continued to use the Sanger house for "special cases". Caples finally purchased the house in 1912. Dr. Caples was considered a talented psychologist and neurologist and served as President of the State Medical Society in 1910. He was a graduate of the Rush Medical College of Chicago and had served as assistant director of the Milwaukee Sanitarium in Wauwatosa. Caples attracted patients from around the State.
Dr. Caples closed the sanitarium in 1941 on his retirement. The Sanger house then became a convent in the 1940 's. Rather than remodeling the interior as the convent expanded, a low one story, with basement wing was constructed to the rear of the house. This area, and the second floor of the original house continued to serve as living quarters.
In 2018 the Sanger house was torn down.
Adapted from the Intensive Survey Form dated 2/10/82, submitted to the National Park Service for inclusion on the NRHP.