Program Info from the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO):
The District of Columbia is a strong advocate of broadband infrastructure deployment. Coverage and connectivity are drivers for the economic growth of the District, the innovation of businesses, and the education of its residents. To that end, the District has developed efficient and streamlined processes for providers to install wireless communications facilities (“Small Cells”) on poles throughout the District. These Small Cells improve the quality of wireless service throughout the District with faster data coverage and capacity.
Providers will be required to file applications through the Department of Transportation’s Transportation Online Permitting System (“TOPS”) for permits that will consider the aesthetic and safety impacts of Small Cells, as well as the District’s technical specifications for such devices. Applications approved through TOPS will result in the issuance of a permit to install Small Cells on poles. Additionally, in order to install Small Cells in the District, providers will be required to execute the Master License Agreement for District of Columbia Use of Public Right of Way (“MLA”). The MLA outlines requirements related to construction and maintenance activities; design, technical, and siting standards for Small Cells; and costs associated with such facilities.
Additional information related to the Small Cell Facilities Project can be found at the following links:
- The DC Government's draft small cell design guidelines
- ANC notice regarding the deployment of small cells in DC
- ANC 2E resolution regarding the Small Cell Facilities Project
- Citizens Association of Georgetown newsletter article regarding the Small Cell Facilities Project
- Citizens Association of Georgetown newsletter article regarding the town hall
- Citizens Association of Georgetown resolution regarding the Small Cell Facilities Project
- Video recording of the National Capital Planning Commission hearing regarding the Small Cell Facilities Project
- National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers' comments regarding small cell wireless facilities review
- Federal Communications Commission meeting agenda for September 26th, 2018, including consideration of an order on small cells
- Federal Communications Commission fact sheet regarding the acceleration of wireline broadband deployment by removing barriers to infrastructure investment
- Text of the U.S. Senate's "STREAMLINE Small Cell Deployment Act"
- Video from the Federal Communications Commission regarding the agency's efforts to promote broadband deployment and competition
- Text of the "Old Georgetown Act"
- A history of the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts
- An overview of the National Capital Planning Commission
- An overview of Crown Castle, a small cell provider
- An overview of Mobilitie, a small cell provider
- Information regarding the DC Government's public space management
- Website for DC's Historic Preservation Office
- The text of DC's Historic Landmark and Historic District Protection Act of 1978
More information regarding additional ANC 2E community organizations and government agencies can be found at the following links: