El Capitan AVID
AVID is an academic elective that serves to prepare students to be successful in a rigorous high school curriculum in preparation for acceptance to a four-year college or university. Instructional methodologies are based on writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading, motivational events, and continued academic rigor.
AVID Banquet 2017
The PSAT will be administered at El Capitan High School on OCTOBER 19th, 2016. Sign up at the finance office.
*Mandatory for all 9th and 10th grade students*
Field Trip Information
Field trips for college visits and tours as well as the end of the year AVID trip will be determined at a later time. All students going on a field trip must fill out the field trip form (will be added to the site at a later date).
Club AVID is responsible for many fundraisers and events. For any students interested in AVID, come check out the AVID booth during Club Day (date TBD) for more information.
WICOR: Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, Reading, SAT Prep/Quickwrites
Tutorial Sessions with college tutors
Binder Check, Field Trips, Guest Speakers, Motivational Activities, Team Building
- 3-Ring Binder (1 ½” – 2”)
- Zipper Pouch
- 3-Ring Binder Paper
- Pens/Pencils/Colored Pens/Highlighters
- Calendar or Planner
- Students must commit to a MINIMUM of 15 hours of service per semester.
- Service must be completed OUTSIDE the school day.
- Students may not be paid or required for any other reason to do the service.
- Service must be properly documented on provided form or via a formal letter on company letterhead.
- Students will be offered opportunities and/or suggestions throughout the school year.
- Students must take either the PSAT/SAT or PLAN/ACT during semester 1.
- This is a course requirement—for a grade.
- Sophomores should take whatever they did NOT take last year.
- Juniors with exceptional test-taking skills should take the 1st PSAT offering of the year in an attempt to qualify for National Merit—a qualification from which a student could earn valuable scholarships.
- Fee waivers are available and can be discussed with AVID coordinators or student’s counselor.
- Visit www.collegeboard.org and www.actstudent.org for more information about the SAT and ACT.
AVID Site Team
- Laura Whitaker, Principal and AVID Program Administrator
- Stephanie Picon, Counselor, email@example.com
- Kelly Fillius, AVID Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shelley Barnett, AVID Coordinator, email@example.com
- Nick Hein, AVID Elective Teacher (11/12th Grade), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jason Cavazos, AVID Elective Teacher (9/10th Grade), email@example.com
- Sandy Martinez, Site Team Member, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chansamone O'Meara, Site Team Member, email@example.com
- Abigail Anders, Site Team Member, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dustin Millsap, Site Team Member, email@example.com
- Natasha Arevalo, Site Team Member, firstname.lastname@example.org