Reasons to take a GCVSP course....
How can taking a GCVSP virtual course help you in your ambition to complete a South Carolina High School Diploma in a timely and successful way?
Every GCVSP virtual course that is added to the course catalog is done so for a very strategic and purposeful reason. Our goal is to help the Greenville County Schools student be as successful as possible in obtaining his or her personal and professional goals. For many students, that means completing the HS Diploma in under four years or completing requirements early so as to have room in their brick/mortar schedule for AP and Dual Credit college courses or for multiple classes in specialized areas such as Band, Chorus and Yearbook. For some students, that means having room in their schedule to attend the Fine Arts Center or a Career Center for a half day. For some students, that means being able to take classes that are not offered, or have limited room, at their brick/mortar school. In all of these cases, GCVSP courses can provide an answer. Virtual courses through GCVSP provide the flexibility to ensure that students can pursue goals and dreams not only during their high school career, but beyond it.
Most of these courses are offered in middle schools throughout the district (for free). See your School Counselors for details.
- GCVSP offers multiple courses to complete the one unit Diploma requirement for a computer science credit. GCVSP developed two of the courses on the short list that are designated to satisfy this one unit credit requirement beginning in Fall 2019. Fundamentals of Computing and Discovering Computer Science offer students the opportunity to complete this graduation requirement while in middle school. Both are ONE unit courses taught in ONE semester.
- GCVSP offers Physical Education 1 (PE 1). This course not only satisfies the one unit Diploma requirement for PE credit, but the 8th grade health standards are also built into the course so that middle schoolers do not have to take 8th grade PE while taking this high school credit course.
- GCVSP offers Graphic Design, a Fine Arts course, which satisfies the one unit requirement for a Fine Arts course credit that is required by the Commission on Higher Education for admission to a South Carolina College or University. (USC & Clemson included)
- GCVSP offers three World Language courses in order to satisfy both the one unit Diploma requirement for a world language credit, and the three unit requirement of many colleges and universities (USC / Clemson included). (Spanish 1, 2, and 3 with Spanish 3 in both CP and Honors levels)
- GCVSP offers one of the four courses which qualify as the "3rd Social Studies" unit requirement for the Diploma. World Geography in both CP and Honors credit is offered beginning in middle school. GCVSP also offers the other required Social Studies courses: US History and Government / Economics.
- GCVSP offers many courses that satisfy core requirements for a Diploma in both CP and Honors levels. (Economics, US Government, English 1,2,3,4, Algebra 1,2,3, Geometry, etc)
- GCVSP offers many classes that complete the education of a student who wants to be well-rounded and prepared for the next step in his educational career. Some of those courses are Personal Finance, Cyber Citizenship, Creative Writing, Sports/Entertainment Marketing, Digital Multimedia, Computer Programming, and Web Page Design.
- GCVSP offers three AP courses that are often overloaded at the schools that offer them. The virtual AP courses offer a self-directed flexibility that is not usually part of the brick/mortar version of the class. GCVSP offers AP Computer Science, AP Macroeconomics, and AP US Government.