The ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) developed the National Educational Technology Standards for students. These performance standards are clear indicators as to why technology is a fundamental component in Communication Arts Education:
- Creativity and Innovation: Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
- Communication and Collaboration: Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others.
- Research and Information Fluency: Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making: Students use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources.
- Digital Citizenship: Students understand human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology and practice legal and ethical behavior.
- Technology Operations and Concepts: Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations.