Kelly Lane Media Center
Throughout the year our students learn a variety of beginner technology skills.
These skills include:
- Digital Citizenship
- Word Processing
- Website Navigation
- Graphic Design
- & more!
We follow the CSTA (Computer Science Teachers Association) Computer Science Standards. You can view them here!
Kelly Lane students use iPads as a 1:1 integrated technology learning tool in their classrooms. This is built into their everyday curriculum.
These skills come from the ISTE (International Standards for Technology Education) Standards for Students. They emphasize skills and qualities we want for students to engage and thrive in a connected, digital world. They prepare our students to be:
- Empowered Learners
- Digital Citizens
- Knowledge Constructors
- Innovative Designers
- Computational Thinkers
- Creative Communicators
- Global Collaborators
Makerspace & STEAM
Our makerspace is open throughout the day for the students to stop by and be scientists, tech experts, engineers, artists, and mathematicians.
We incorporate STEAM and the design process into different lessons throughout the year. Students get an opportunity to:
- ASK and investigate a problem.
- IMAGINE a variety of solutions.
- PLAN how they could solve this problem with a diagram and list of materials.
- IMPROVE their design.
In our library, students learn beginning research and information literacy skills. Most importantly, we strive to instill a love of reading!
All of this learning stems from the the AASL (American Association of School Librarians) Standards. These standards prepare our students to be lifelong learners and deepen their learning. They are:
- INQUIRE- acquiring new knowledge by thinking critically and solving problems
- INCLUDE- operate in global society by interacting with and acknowledging the perspectives of others
- COLLABORATE- work with other to achieve common goals
- CURATE- collect, organize and share resources
- EXPLORE- harness curiosity and employ a growth mindset to explore and discover
- ENGAGE- follow ethical and legal guidelines while engaging with information