New member Reception 2017
Written by Kevin Tuyau (2016 Chapter President, Golden Key International Honour Society).
About 200 Swinburne University students were recognised for their academic achievements on April 28th 2017, when they were inducted as members of the Golden Key International Honour Society.
The Swinburne University chapter of Golden Key was established in 2006. Since then the chapter has inducted about 4000 members through their annual New Member Reception.
This year the official officiators were:
- Professor Duncan Bentley: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)
- Prof. Glen Bates: PVC Student Advancement and Chapter Advisor
- Sunnefa Penning: University Relations Officer, Golden Key Asia-Pacific
- Kevin Tuyau: Chapter President, Swinburne Chapter
- Justine Hall: Chapter Vice President, Swinburne Chapter
Each year the chapter nominates honorary members from the community, based on their demonstration of the three pillars of Golden Key; Academics, Leadership and Service. This year the chapter inducted:
- Professor Duncan Bentley: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic).
- Dr Ann Mitsis: Lecturer and Faculty of Business and Enterprise’s Honours Coordinator at Swinburne university.
- Mat Bartnik: Associate Dean of Student Communication at Swinburne University.
Also acknowledged at the New Member Reception was the Golden Key Swinburne chapter committee of 2015. Throughout the year the committee has organised many events for both members and Swinburne students alike. This includes networking events, career development events and this year's Asia-Pacific Golden Key regional conference. Chapter members also assisted the community through the chapter's volunteering programs.
“I joined Golden Key in 2014, and it is one of the best investments in my future that I ever made”. University Relations Officer Sunnefa Penning said. “To all the new members tonight, I hope you will embrace the opportunities that are now open to you. Get involved: apply for scholarships, come along to events, and get to know the incredible and inspiring people that make the Society what it is”.
After receiving their certificates, members had the chance to socialise, ask questions and take a professional photo with their certificate. They were also provided with light refreshments.
If you are interested in learning more about Golden Key, becoming a part of the committee or volunteering at the chapter's community service programs, please visit the chapter website www.goldenkeyswinburne.org and keep up to date with what is going on by liking their Facebook Page.
Committee Receiving Certificates for service during the period of May 2016 to May 2017:
- Chapter President: Kevin Tuyau.
- Chapter Vice President: Justine Hall.
- Chapter Secretary: Liz Merritt.
- Chapter Treasurer: Kylie Goatley.
- Social Officer: Meg Blackie.
- Intellectual Engagement Officer: Pauline Csuba.
- Newsletter Editor: Janna Sim.
- Honorary Member Liaison: Arrica Vallyani.
- Public Relations & Social Officer: Anas Dawod Alrefaee.
- Community Service Officer: Bharath Dwijender Miriyala.
- Webmaster: Gabriel George.
- Professional Development Officer: Elizabeth Bonny.
- Academic Officer: Nahian B Aziz.
- General Committee Members: Craig Schultz, Steven Mac, Thuy Trang Huynh and Carlo Sinay.
Newsletter January 2017
Welcome to the first newsletter of the year. I hope you had a good Summer holiday.
December was quite busy for the Swinburne chapter. We had three end of year volunteering projects, which can be read about in this month's newsletter.
and here on our new Blog Site
SPARK a Change – Christmas Angel Project
As part of our SPARK initiative, Golden Key Swinburne is held it's annual volunteering day. We wrapped Christmas gifts for children who are in refuges from domestic violence.
SPARK a Change – Operation Christmas Child
Several Golden Key Swinburne members packed Christmas boxes headed to children in poverty stricken areas like Cambodia, Fiji, Vietnam, Thailand, PNG, Vanuatu and Samoa.
SPARK a Change – Ardoch Book Packing
Golden Key Swinburne chapter assisted Ardoch Youth Foundation pack school readiness packs to be distributed to children starting school in 2017.
Exceptional Alumni Wanted
Do you know a former Swinburne student that has become a success or is active in helping the community? We would like to hear from them. Each month our newsletter will have a feature article on a notable Golden Key member. Please nominate a friend or yourself.
Contact our secretary Liz (firstname.lastname@example.org).