Unit - 2 Research Methods
Did We Know It All Along? Hindsight Bias
• How can the scientific method help us draw more informed conclusions?
• In what ways is our confidence in our predictions often wrong?
Perceiving Order in Random Events
• Why is it important to understand how randomness works?
The Scientific Attitude: Curious, Skeptical, and Humble
• Why is curiosity important to a psychologist?
• Why is skepticism important to a psychologist?
• Why is humility important to a psychologist?
• Why is critical thinking important to science?
• What value does critical thinking provide to the scientific process?
The Scientific Method
• How does the popular conception of a “theory” differ from the scientific use of the term?
• Why are operational definitions important to the scientific process?
• Why is replication such an important function of science?
• How can a descriptive research method advance knowledge of a behavior or mental process?
• What is the value of knowing that 2 variables are related?
• Why is correlation not the same as causation?
• Why is it important to know how 2 variables influence each other?
• Why is randomness important to experimentation?
• Why is it important to control variables in an experiment?
The Need for Statistics
• How can knowing about statistics help you make more informed decisions?
• How does knowledge of the properties of the normal curve and central tendency help you make more informed decisions?
• What are the limits of descriptive statistics?
• Why is it important to know that a difference between
• What can psychological science tell us about everyday life?
Ethics in Research
• Should all psychology studies be conducted ethically?
• Why does following ethical procedures matter?
Video Response - watch the videos below and complete the google form viewer response
Correlation & Causation