Healthy Germantown is excited to present Walk Across Tennessee, a team-based fitness program encouraging team members to cumulatively move the equivalent of the length of Tennessee (about 500 miles) or more. This program has been presented in communities across Tennessee for 20 years, and this is the second year for Germantown. This year, Healthy Germantown is coordinating three different competitions: citizens, school classrooms and City of Germantown Employees. If you would like to track numbers specific to your organization, ask your captains to include your organization name on the team registration form.
How it works:
- five-week event
- five members per team, each team with their own captain
- Total team mileage logged weekly (Monday to Sunday)
- Goal: Each team should log at least 500 miles in five weeks
- Miles can be walked or converted from other activities (ex: 15 minutes bicycling = one mile). See conversion chart on the "Totals" tab for details. If converting from steps, 2000 steps = 1 mile.
- Each team that reaches at least 500 miles will be entered into a prize raffle
- New for 2018: Photo Contest - Get caught being healthy!
- Gather your family or friends at work, neighbors, club members - encourage them to form multiple teams to compete against each other
- Each team captain must complete a team registration form, and each of the 5 team members (including the captain) must complete an individual registration form.
- Captains gather individual mileage totals and submit team totals each week
- There is no charge for participation
Upcoming Events for counting steps/logging miles:
- Funding for T-shirts, prizes
- Donations of awards/team raffle prizes (in multiples of 5 for each team member)
For more information:
Sponsored by Shelby County Extension
Programs in agriculture and natural resources, 4-H youth development, family and consumer sciences, and resource development.
University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture and county governments cooperating.
UT Extension provides equal opportunities in programs and employment.