[information from VEXMEN.com]
The VEX Forum is a great place to find a community of builders, programmers and mentors that love to help. Now let’s talk about posting properly and acting like a sane, rational human being. Don’t be “that guy” and know what you post not only effects you but the image of the entire club.
So here are a few simple rules when going on line and posting in these forums:
1) Be polite. No flaming, no cursing, and don’t get suckered into diatribes even if you are just trying to be funny. One person’s humor is hurtful to another person at times.
2) Be specific in questions and use pictures or code snippets when asking for help. Try and keep your subjects narrow and give your background or viewpoint for others to build upon. No one will respond to generic help me build an awesome robot requests. People showing they have tried something and are now stuck get infinitely more help than generic requests. The forums use BB Code style tags. Here is a BB Code reference fro you to learn how to learn this simple markup method.
3) Have a proper forum profile telling people about you. Fill in a signature, avatar, team number, and the location of Texas, USA. We have resources for avatars and footers on the website you can use. General items in a signature are awards you have won at competitions.
4) Don’t expect immediate answers, and don’t demand anything. These are active but not that active. People do not have to answer you or just may not have the answers. it is not a personal attack on you.
5) Don’t expect people to give away their robot’s “secret sauce” Similarly, don’t give away your robot’s secret sauce unless you want to be pitted against it in the future. Be respectful of other robots secret sauce – do not post their robots on line after you have been beaten the week before. Blur them out and make sure it is not anything in great detail.
6) Say thank you when someone helps you. Back to being polite. It can help continue the conversation and develop friendships from across the globe.
7) Club rule #1 still applies – Don’t do anything stupid. Which leads to the next one….
8) Be safe online in general. Never give out your full name, phone number, address, or agree to meet without your parents. This is a good online resource about staying safe online.