Welcome to Try AI (artificial intelligence)! Have you ever wondered about how voice assistants like Siri or Alexa work? Are you passionate about solving real-world problems? Are you a high school student considering a career in math and science? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this is an event for you!
Try AI is a half-day outreach event consisting of a discussion with AI researchers regarding the potential applications of AI in society, a chance to present ideas developed during the discussion, and a college and career panel. It is held in conjunction with the AAAI conference, a premier research conference in artificial intelligence (AI). The event will take place in New York City on Saturday, February 8, 2020.
Our goal is for local high school students, especially womxn (all those identifying as women) and others traditionally underrepresented in computer science, to:
- Learn about AI and its potential applications in society.
- Learn about potential career paths in research, such as academia and industry, in AI but also more broadly in STEM.
- Learn about college from both professors and students.
- Connect with peers interested in AI / STEM.
- Make meaningful connections with AI researchers that may lead to further opportunities, such as internships, research projects, or connections once participants go to college.
By holding this event, we hope that we can encourage more students to pursue AI and STEM careers.
If you or your students are interested in participating, please check out the Call for Participants, which provides some further details. We are looking for both mentors and organizations working with high school students.