Great games are all about their components, and often begin with a small idea. Game creators spend tons of time researching in order to create protagonists, antagonists, supporting characters, weapons, plots, and environments. For this next project you and your teammates will be responsible for coming up with an original game for others to play. You are challenged to create an interesting and engaging story line that contains complex characters that you build. Also be sure to find a way to bring an aspect of your game to life. Use those engineering chops model an aspect of your game, and defend its creation with your knowledge of chemistry. Finally, in your model use math to create a concept/blueprint of your model.
ELA: Plot diagram/triangle, plot development; narrativestructure; characterization, character development; literary elements
- LA09.C.22: write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events, using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences
- LA09.C.22.a: engage and orient the reader by setting out a problem, situation, or observation, establishing one or multiple point(s) of view, and introducing a narrator and/or characters; create a smooth progression of experiences or events
- LA09.C.22.b: use narrative techniques, such as dialogue, pacing, description, reflection, and multiple plot lines, to develop experiences, events, and/or characters
- LA09.C.22.c: use a variety of techniques to sequence events so that they build on one another to create a coherent whole
- LA09.C.22.d: use precise words and phrases, telling details, and sensory language to convey a vivid picture of the experiences, events, setting, and/or characters
- LA09.C.22.e: provide a conclusion that follows from and reflects on what is experienced, observed, or resolved over the course of the narrative
- LA09.C.23: produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience
Chemical /Physical properties and components of Density
- SCCH.A.2.a: plan and carry out an investigation about the physical and chemical properties at the macroscopic scale
- SCCH.A.2.b: use mathematical and conceptual thinking to solve density problems and understand the relationship between density, mass, and volume
IDT/ Engineering Standards
- TEC1.A.3: Demonstrate effective professional communication skills (oral, written, and digital) and practices that that enable positive customer relationships.
- TEC1.A.4: Identify, describe, evaluate, select and use appropriate technology.
- TEC1.A.5: Apply concepts needed to understand, communicate, and adapt to a digital world
- TEC1.A.7: Use computational thinking procedures to analyze and solve problems
- TEC1.A.8: Create and organize webpages through the use of a variety of web programming design tools.
- TEC1.A.12: Demonstrate appropriate use of literacy skills
- STEM-FET-7 Use appropriate technology to collect, record, manipulate, analyze, and report data.
- STEM-FET-8 Students design a solution to an engineering problem applying math and science principles.
- STEM-FET-9 Demonstrate the application of STEM in the real world.
- Tech- Use software/tools to create a model (game piece, equipment, etc.) of an aspect of your game.
- LA- Students will be responsible for satisfying the language arts standards by creating a complex story line.
- Chem- Students will defend the materials, design, and function of their modeled aspect by using Chemical/physical properties and density
- Students will choose groups of 3 or 4
- Brainstorm Narrative and Character concepts
- Project proposal document
- Teams need to be created and agreed upon by all team members
- Decide on character abilities
- Research optimal mass/volume/density relationship
- Chem/Math: density, physical/chemical properties; Tech: photoshop/selecting proper materials; LA: elements of a short story
- Work on Plot triangle
- Work on written defense of your use of science standards in your game.
- Plot triangle and science defense due at 12 pm for teacher feedback
- Start working on Storyboard (make a copy to your google drive)
- Storyboard due
- Peer Critique/Progress check
- Prototype of game medium
- Please submit your google form here