To join The Friends of Skokholm and Skomer all you need to do is print the form, fill it out and sent it off! Thank you!
The Friends are incredibly important to the islands. Through their subscriptions members help in a small way to finance some of the essential items for the islands but more importantly many are regular visitors or volunteers.
Around a hundred members help each year in a very practical way:
- The little committee of twelve put together the annual “reunion” programme and liaise with the Wildlife Trust to make sure the newsletters go out on time, and one of them edits the Newsletter and keeps in touch with the wardens. They also represent the Friends on various committees.
- Many people help out on Skomer for a week as a Voluntary Warden. A few stay on Skomer or on Skokholm as long term volunteers spending at least a month helping out and also doing some basic research work..
- A smaller number help out on Skokholm with the building and maintenance work. Some of these are very skilled but many are simply keen DIY’ers. Each year there are small work parties at the start of the season but since 2010 a larger group has been very much involved with a major refurbishment of the buildings. This work should be completed in 2013.
- Some members have been researching an archive project for Skokholm and will hopefully be progressing that over the next few years.
- Some members have contributed in a financial way to the future of the islands, funding part of the refurbishment on Skokholm in particular.
And most importantly Friends form a large proportion of the overnight guests on both islands and we really do want to know what you enjoyed and what you saw while you were there - so PLEASE do contribute to the Blog. We really do want to hear from you and to see some of your pictures.
Please email us at email@example.com if you would like to get involved!