The International Baccalaureate Diploma Program
at Freehold Township
About the IB Program
The IB Diploma Program (DP) is a two-year international education program that prepares students age 16–19 for success going into, and throughout, university. The DP offers a holistic approach to teaching and learning with a keen focus on developing intercultural awareness. Students learn to explore and understand the world around them through inquiry, critical thinking and open-mindedness.
Now in its 50th year, the International Baccalaureate is offered in more than 1,700 schools in over 145 countries around the world. Freehold Township High School is proud to be one of only 16 schools in New Jersey offering the Diploma Program, graduating its second Diploma Class in 2018.
The IB Curriculum at a Glance
IB Diploma Candidates take courses in 6 major subject categories throughout their junior and senior years. Within these subject categories, students have a number of options, including specific areas of study in either Higher or Standard Level.
In addition to these courses, students must also complete The Core, designed to broaden their educational experiences and challenge them to apply their knowledge and skills.
The Six Subject Categories include:
1. Studies in Language and Literature
2. Language Acquisition
3. Individuals and Societies
6. The Arts
The "Core" includes:
The Extended Essay
Theory of Knowledge
CAS (Creativity, Action, & Service)
Parents for their children choose the DP because it offers:
- a challenging academic curriculum that serves as outstanding preparation for university and higher education
- a student-centered approach to teaching, focused on developing students intellectually, emotionally, physically and socially, as opposed to preparation for test-taking only
- a focus on international-mindedness, compassion, and understanding intercultural differences
- respected, reliable and world-renowned academic preparation
Universities regularly cite DP students as the best prepared for higher education.
DP graduates excel at university and often begin their studies with advanced standing.
An in-depth look inside IB at FTHS
What are teachers and students saying about the IB program? Freehold Township High School is proud to present The IB News Hour's Investigative Report.
This video was made with the help of the students and teachers depicted. A special thanks to Mr. Tom Jennings, Teacher Coach at FTHS, for his contributions.