Summer Learning = Summer Fun!
Do you like Pinterest? Follow our Summer Learning Pinterest Board
Keyboarding...The debate goes on over the value of keyboarding skills as ever-changing digital tools shape the way students create. However, for those who have concerns over the ability to word process this list of sites for keyboarding practice may be helpful.
Read, Read, Read!
- Grades K-2 Students: read 10 books
- Grades 3-5 Students: read 8 chapter books
- Grades 6-HS Students: read 5 fiction books & 5 non-fiction books
Enroll in a Summer Reading Challenge!
Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge! Are you ready for "A Magical Summer of Reading?" Parents, your child has already started in school and we are hoping they will continue to read all summer! and let’s read all summer! (May 5 - Sept 7, 2018) So start reading, log your minutes, and most importantly, have fun!
Summer Reading - Genre Challenge : Challenge your child to listen to or read at least one book from each of the different genres!
Local Reading Challenges
Build a Better World - Monmouth County Public Library Summer Reading Program
At MWES, students are assessed using a variety of means in order to determine reading levels. One way is the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment and assigns readers a LETTER level. (See chart to the right) Another is by measuring your child's Lexile level using MAP or Achieve3000.
Selecting books in the appropriate range...
- Improve students’ reading fluency and increase enjoyment of reading
- Students who spend a minimum of 3 hrs/week reading at their own level for their own purposes develop reading fluency which leads to improved mastery.
- You may wish to consider your child's Lexile range or F&P level for independent reading when selecting books
- Remember: A Lexile range is 50L above and 100L below a student’s reported Lexile measure.
- Use Lexiles and F&P Levels to set goals
- Practice with a variety of texts
- Challenge the BEST readers
- Success breeds enjoyment!
Use this Symbaloo webmix to find resources to reading via a computer or mobile device.