Welcome to the Special Education Department Website!
Our mission is to provide an inclusive, transformative educational experience by developing leadership and cultivating academic excellence in the arts, sciences, and humanities.
Special Education Process:
Upon enrollment, all new students are are screened in the first 45 days of school to observe and identify possible areas of concern. A 45 day screen can also be requested at any point in the school year. Teachers, education professionals, and/or parents can make a referral, request a 45 day screen, or request an SST (Student Study Team) meeting. If a concern is identified through the screening procedures FALA will notify guardians and work with them to develop plans and procedures to follow-up on the student’s needs.
At any point within the school year, parents or educational professionals suspecting a disability, can request that their student be evaluated. Students can also be referred for an evaluation through the SST (Student Study Team) process. If a more detailed and specific evaluation is needed, a Multidisciplinary Evaluation Team (MET) will be suggested.
According to the Arizona Department of Education, "The Multidisciplinary Evaluation Team (MET), consisting of you and a group of qualified professionals, will review existing data and additional evaluation results to determine if your child is eligible for special education and related services. The evaluation will consist of a variety of assessment tools and strategies to gather academic, functional, and developmental information about your child. Your child has a right to be evaluated in his/her native language, or other mode of communication, by a qualified professional in all areas of suspected disability, including, if appropriate, health, vision, hearing, social and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance, adaptive behavior, communication, and motor abilities. Your child’s initial evaluation must be completed within 60 calendar days from the date you give informed written consent to determine special education eligibility. You will receive an explanation and copy of the evaluation. Your child may be eligible in one or more of the following disability categories," (Arizona Department of Education).
• Autism (A)
• Developmental Delay(DD)
• Emotional Disability(ED)
• Hearing Impairment (HI)
• Mild Intellectual Disability (MIID)
• ModerateIntellectualDisability (MIOD)
• Multiple Disabilities(MD)
• Multiple Disabilities with Severe Sensory Impairment (MDSSI)
• Orthopedic Impairment (OI)
• Other Health Impairments (OHI)
• Preschool Severe Delay (PSD)
• Severe Intellectual Disability (SID)
• Specific Learning Disability (SLD)
• Speech/Language Impairment (SLI)
• Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
• Visual Impairment (VI)
Special Education Resources:
- Contact Kim Khatibi, Special Education Director at Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy
- Special Education Policies and Procedures
- Sample 45 Day Screen Form
- Flowchart of Special Education Processes
- Traveling the Special Education Highway (a resource for parents)
- Helping All Children Succeed - Do you have concerns about your child’s development or progress in school?
More helpful resources:
- Utilize student and parent resources such as:
- Special Education Policies and Procedures, as adopted from the Arizona Department of Education ESS Guidelines.
If there are other resources you think would be helpful to include on this website, please let us know by emailing a staff member in 'About Us'.